DP Engineer for Album Production / Pasadena, CA area

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cdemby
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Engineer for Album Production / Pasadena, CA area

Post by cdemby »

We are in the middle of album production and we are looking for an engineer to assist with production. Ambient / Meditative genre. Pasadena, CA area.
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804
MOTU 828MKII / Micro Lite
Bennie Sims

Re: DP Engineer for Album Production / Pasadena, CA area

Post by Bennie Sims »

I'm east coast. Is it in your budget to fly me out and put me up?
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
cdemby

Post by cdemby »

thanks but we only work with local engineers.
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It seems to be an annual request. Have you ever found a local? Have you considered a studio like Big City Recording or hiring Paul who runs it to come out? So you have a decent budget to pay a good engineer what they've worth?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cdemby

Post by cdemby »

Hi… thanks for your concern….you mention:
"It seems to be an annual request."
and "Have you ever found a local?"
We work with local engineers who come to our home studio to assist in album production. I've found my last two engineers here on this board, we had great working relationships, and then challenges occurred in their lives, so we are putting a new notice out, and we hope that's OK with you…!

"Have you considered a studio like Big City Recording or hiring Paul who runs it to come out? So you have a decent budget to pay a good engineer what they've worth?"

All recording is done in my home studio, and when we are ready for mix down, then we work with a studio. As to budget, ever since illegal free downloading occurred in the music industry, recording artists have been pretty hard hit by it. Our albums, all 16 of them, and in particular our best selling Grammy Nominated, Award Winning album 'NOVUS MAGNIFICAT - Through the Stargate" are occasionally ordered from our website, but those days are gone when fans used to order and paid money for CDs. It has seriously affected a lot of recording artists.

Anyways thanks for your concern and for the referral to Big City Recording and Paul. I googled it and it looks good and is not that far from our studio
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804
MIDI Life Crisis

:smash:
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Snippy is the standard tone of those trying to sound more important than they are.

Heck, man, you didn't even realize that Bernie was joking.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Jim and MLC, cut the OP some slack.

I can't see any need or reason for you guys to be negative.

If you aren't interested and don't know someone who is, don't get harsh with the OP, and/or presume the worst.

They posted a legitmate and reasonable question and replied honestly when Bernie made a stab at humor - if it had been me, I would have either ignored Bernie or replied in much the same manner, they clearly said 'local'.

So what if they make an 'annual request', I have posted similar requests for surround mixers more than once, that doesn't mean I deserve to be given a hard time or judged negatively, it just means I still have need to ask that question.

The suggestion regarding the studio was no doubt appreciated, it is that kind of helpfulness that makes the world a better place. I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions to offer the OP.

p.s. if you want to now have a go @ me, may I suggest you either send me a PM, add me as a Foe, or start a new thread, so that OP can have a relatively clean thread around their request.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

BKK-OZ wrote: If you aren't interested and don't know someone who is, don't get harsh with the OP
Actually, I made a suggestion for the best engineer she could possibly want. Asking why she needs a new one every year is a reasonable question. I think I have a good understanding about all that now.

Is it "OK" with me. Too late now... A little defensive with the credits as well, don't you think? :shake:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cdemby

Post by cdemby »

Thank you BKK-Oz…
It's nice to have someone with a working brain to connect with about this, much appreciated. I am simply looking for an engineer, and I've never seen this kind of behavior before. In the past I've found two wonderful engineers on this list, and to have this kind of childish, mean attitude show up doesn't help anyone. Perhaps they should be made to stand in the corner until they stop their shenanigans.
Meanwhile, I'm looking for a new engineer and have found some excellent engineers on this list in the past (neither available now with their other projects) and I need a new engineer to help out. Meanwhile, lets hope they will learn mutual respect for others... Thank you for your wise comments.
Warm regards,
CD
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've just read the whole topic, and it seems to me that most of this is just misunderstood intentions, all around. I don't know if Bennie was joking or not; his request was not unusual to me, because I spent 20 years flying to other time zones, essentially commuting to DP jobs where I would stay for a few weeks, come home for a week, and repeat until the job was done. Some projects do have budgets for that, so it's not necessarily a joke, though the fact that it was asked in a public post rather than a private message probably indicates that it was more humorously inclined.

MLC's response may have seemed callous to some, but I think he was probably concerned about the turnover of previous engineers, and he DID recommend a very strong engineer. Constance perhaps misinterpreted MLC's characteristic bluntness and mistook it for ridicule. I think he was being cautious but sincere.

Then it just escalated the way things do on the internet, where lack of the tone-of-voice and facial expressions compound the ambiguity of the printed word, leading to worst-case interpretations, especially if someone's feathers are ruffled.

I wish Constance the best of fortunes in finding a good collaborator and producing another fine album, and I think the best thing for everyone to do is simply chalk it up to another IFM (Internet Forum Moment), have a chuckle over the misguided cues, and let it be, let it be...

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:\
MLC's response may have seemed callous to some, but I think he was probably concerned about the turnover of previous engineers, and he DID recommend a very strong engineer. Constance perhaps misinterpreted MLC's characteristic bluntness and mistook it for ridicule. I think he was being cautious but sincere.
Exactly!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cdemby

Post by cdemby »

Shooshie wrote:MLC's response may have seemed callous to some, but I think he was probably concerned about the turnover of previous engineers, and he DID recommend a very strong engineer. Constance perhaps misinterpreted MLC's characteristic bluntness and mistook it for ridicule. I think he was being cautious but sincere.

Exactly!

--------
Not exactly. There WAS no turnover of previous engineers. And if MLC did recommend a very strong engineer we are grateful for that recommendation, yet that engineer was never part of our process because it was myself who found two engineers on the list, neither of them recommended by MLC. Eventually both engineers had to attend to other matters, family matters. Meanwhile can we end this please!… for the good of all… And if MLC needs to continue to need to "be right" then you will be talking to yourself. Peace … Be well ….
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804
MIDI Life Crisis

It seems the lord has decided what others can say or not. Sorry, that's not the way it works.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cdemby

Post by cdemby »

That's OK…
You don't have to be right all the time ….
You'll feel much better if you just let it all goooo…
nighty night...
Constance Demby
MacBook Pro HD -OS X
V 10.8.5
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
DP804