Why doesn't internal audio click line up with bar lines?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why doesn't internal audio click line up with bar lines?

Post by zandurian »

I noticed the audio click generated by DP was late compared to MIDI so recorded to audio track and sure enough - it's off (late). The most accurate in a click triggered from a Mach 5 drum set. An external MIDI click recorded back in a little late but the audio click the worst by far - really flams when played back against something lined up with the bar lines accurately (records at 024 instead of 000 with tempo at 120) as opposed to Mach 5 MIDI click (001) and external MIDI click (002). Any ideas?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Dan Worley

Re: Why doesn't internal audio click line up with bar lines?

Post by Dan Worley »

I check it all the time and it's usually in perfect time. Once in awhile it will get screwy and I need to relaunch DP, or restart.

This is the click output to a bus and input to an audio track. Dead on here. 1024 buffer.

DP10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Look ahead limiter on the Master Fader?
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

HCMarkus wrote:Look ahead limiter on the Master Fader?
That will delay when you hear it but not where it records in the track, unless you route the click through the limiter before it hits the track.
DP10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Are there other settings in the Setup/Configure Audio System section that can affect these kinds of things?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Dan Worley wrote:
That will delay when you hear it but not where it records in the track, unless you route the click through the limiter before it hits the track.
Fair enough. But I don't spend a lot of time recording the DP click… usually I'm just listening to it :D I have my click routed to several different buses, and have noted timing offsets when look-ahead limiting is engaged on the Master.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

HCMarkus wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:
Fair enough. But I don't spend a lot of time recording the DP click… usually I'm just listening to it :D I have my click routed to several different buses, and have noted timing offsets when look-ahead limiting is engaged on the Master.
Yes, that's why I said it would effect when you hear it. I'm only pointed out it wouldn't effect where it records because the OP mentioned it was recording late.

But yeah, you're right, there have been many times I went to record a track and had to turn off processors on the Master track for the click to be useable.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:
Me too.

I set up a blank mix for recording, just to eliminate any plugin delay problems.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

stubbsonic wrote:Are there other settings in the Setup/Configure Audio System section that can affect these kinds of things?
I don't know. There's the fine tuning thing in there somewhere but I've never had to use it.
DP10.13
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Dan Worley wrote:
Yeah - I had the UAD precision limiter on the master out which I was feeding to another track. Duh!

Dan Worley wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Are there other settings in the Setup/Configure Audio System section that can affect these kinds of things?
I don't know. There's the fine tuning thing in there somewhere but I've never had to use it.
That's what I was thinking at first because years ago I had to fine tune that for each new computer. Now it seems to always have perfect timing coming back.
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I'm glad Markus got you thinking in the right direction and you got it sorted out. I remember pulling at my hair a few times on that one.
DP10.13