DP7 + Akai MPK-61

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Schweats
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP7 + Akai MPK-61

Post by Schweats »

Anyone use an Akai MPK 61 controller with DP and have succesfully got the transport funtion on the MPK61 to work using MMC or MIDI beat clocks ( Hitting Play on the MPK starts DP )
I have…
• checked/changed cables
• setup in DP both MMC and MIDI beat clocks transmit/receive sync
• correspondingly chosen appropriate matching mode on the MPK
(MMC on the MPK and DP then switched to MIDI beat clocks on both)

Have connected the MPK to the computer via USB cable AND connected via an MTP AV MIDI interface to computer with bidirectional MIDI cables. The MPK has an external wall wart power supply , so no bus power needed.

Anything come to mind ?
Many TIA Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
Guitar Gaz

Re: DP7 + Akai MPK-61

Post by Guitar Gaz »

No - it won't work - I have the MPK-25 - I gave up after wasting a lot of time. You can use the transport controls with Reason and if Rewired most work in starting and stopping play - but record won't work. If you find the solution please tell me.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

IS there any control surface that actually does control DP's Transport successfully ?

I currently have a Novation Zero SL mkII and a Korg Nano control and in the past , a Behringer BCF 2000.
I will experiment again with the Novation and the Korg …… I don't remember the status of the Behringer as I sold it.

The Avid/Euphonix "Artist Mix" and "Artist Control" are out of my budget and besides, even if I did buy them,
and they don't control the transport , what's the point ?

Anyone have the Avid/Euphonix devices and do they work ?
Native Instruments is soon to be offering a new keyboard MIDI controller that is designed for use with their entire VI line. I have inquired to NI and received an affirmation that this device will easily work with other VIs and flagship DAWs ………… oddly though , one never sees DP in the advertised list of compatible DAWS from any 3rd party manufacturer. It seems all other manufacturers cover PT, Cubase, Logic, Ableton, FL, Sonar etc. , but rarely do I see DP in the compatibility lists. Is MOTU on the 'outs' with all other manufacturers ? Why doesn't MOTU make there own control surface ? Anyone inquired ? Anyone have a large enough budget for the Slate Raven Multi-Touch Control ? If so , does it work with DP ?
Many TIA … Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

The Novation controllers transport works with DP, they even have a set up guide on
to get it to work. If the Akai transport can accept HUI or Mackie type control messages the transport should work in DP after you set up the Akai as a Control Surface.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

The Akai accepts MMC but not HUI or Mackie as far as I know. So as I said I don't think it will work properly with DP. But would love anyone to prove me wrong....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

that's too bad! I almost bought the Akai over the Novation years ago. To be fair though I rarely use the transport on the SL mostly use the computer shortcuts in DP, too easy.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Michael Canavan wrote:that's too bad! I almost bought the Akai over the Novation years ago. To be fair though I rarely use the transport on the SL mostly use the computer shortcuts in DP, too easy.
Yes - its kind of marginal - would be nice if it worked with DP but not the end of the world.
Gary Shepherd
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

in DP , going to Commands > Transport then, creating new MIDI note numbers for Play, stop, record, rewind etc. , at the very bottom of the keyboard I was successful in establishing control of DP's transport. I still have not been able to establish communication using the transport control buttons on the keyboard situated directly under the LCD. I came upon this while creating a multi within Stylus RMX … I kept hitting the C (thru G) 1 octave above the bottom of the keyboard and the transport kept engaging and the light (however dull) went on. I made neccessary changes and voilà…

I sent email to Akai tech support and all they said was it was an issue with DP … in a matter of speaking , yes , BUT,
it felt the answer was one single digit salute while pointing the finger elsewhere.

HTH Schweats
Schweats