Dealing with Psychoacoustic Anomalies on NEO6:Music Systems

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
guitardood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dealing with Psychoacoustic Anomalies on NEO6:Music Systems

Post by guitardood »

Hey All,
I've been working on some mixes in headphones (Sennheiser HD280 Pro recommended by someone here, they're awesome BTW) and have gotten the mixes to sound pretty sweet. I later took those same mixes into my living room to listen on the home theater system and forgot to switch it to "All Stereo" mode and noticed a drastic amount of unpleasant psychoacoustic effects, primarily panning anomalies with it in NEO6:Music mode. I've listened to quite a few "pro" tracks in this mode and they seem to sound pretty incredible much wider and more full.

I'm just wondering what you guys have done/are doing to accommodate this in your mixing. Any plugin recommendations? Should I be mixing in that environment? One thing I've noticed is that phasing issues and HAAS effects are in many cases over-exaggerated.

Your thoughts?

Best,
guitardood

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Dealing with Psychoacoustic Anomalies on NEO6:Music Syst

Post by 4stripes »

Best guess is you have some phase incoherence. Monitor in mono, and flip the polarity of one channel to hear what goes missing, and check your mix through a phase or polarity meter.

All artificial surround DSP platforms utilize phase differences to create their extra channels. If that phase difference is significant and not in the usual expected places, your mix may not work well through the surround algorithm. It suggests your mix probably won't work well in mono either.