Okay, Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer plug-in is insanely cool

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Okay, Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer plug-in is insanely cool

Post by Dan Worley »

I've been demoing Blue Cat Audio's MB-7 Mixer plug-in for the last couple of days, after finally finding out about it. I think it's fantastic! What an incredibly useful, creative, and mind-blowing tool.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_MB7Mixer/

I do have one problem using the demo version with DP. Whenever I try to insert a stereo instance, it causes a MAS error on my system (DP 8.06 in 10.9.4). I get around that by using a Dual instance and linking the faders.

With the MB-7, I'm able to process the audio of any track in ways that I've always dreamed of, but were either impossible, too difficult, time consuming or confusing with all the routing involved. Now I can do these things quickly and easily, and it's fun, fun, fun!

The MB-7 splits the audio signal into one to seven bands. You can control the gain, panning, and stereo spread of each band, and apply up to four plug-ins (two pre, two post) to each band. I'll leave it to your imagination on what can be done with this. Personally, I'm just totally blown away by it. It's crazy great for control freaks, but it also gets the creative and musical juices flowing.

There's a ton of videos about it on Youtube (mostly electronic music, which I don't do), but download the demo and give it a spin. The demo does stop processing every now and then (which is unbelievably annoying. I'd rather have a timed demo), but you can get enough done with it to see what it's all about.

Now, I just need to find it on sale somewhere. Hmm.
DP10.13
David Polich

Re: Okay, Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer plug-in is insanely cool

Post by David Polich »

Cool idea, but I'm done with demos that stop passing audio or emit noise periodically. Cannot
evaluate a product that way.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dan Worley

Re: Okay, Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer plug-in is insanely cool

Post by Dan Worley »

David Polich wrote:Cool idea, but I'm done with demos that stop passing audio or emit noise periodically. Cannot
evaluate a product that way.
I agree, David. After this, no more for me either.

Many times when I go to make an adjustment, the plug-in will stop processing (a random bypass) and I will have to wait for it to come back on, and when it does, my ears then need time to readjust because of the change in sound from it switching back and forth. This completely crushes my excitement and frustrates me, and I feel like I'm being punished just for running the demo.

Blue Cat should offer full-featured 10- to 14-day demos, especially for the $100+ priced plugs.

The plug-in is really cool, though.
DP10.13