Vote for the best DAW in the world today!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tesionman »

Not that these polls matter.. but what the hell!

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...d-today-606935

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Vote for the best DAW in the world today!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's like voting for the most important liquid on the planet. Oil? Wine? Beer? No, it's water and that's how critical DP has become for my work now. And have you ever noticed that DAW backwards is WAD which is what all these plugs are starting to chip away at.

Good days for DP (as long as you ignore Facebook trolls. LOL)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bogmusic

Post by bogmusic »

Most important liquid on the planet? - Wee
Just Imagine if you couldn't relieve yourself

Best DAW? the one which you love so much you are too busy using it to notice others exist.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Did anyone else have the experience of Safari crashing after voting? It was weird, and led to my rebooting my Mac Pro and staring at logs for hours. Didn't figure out anything, though.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I just keep away from that riff raft, Shoosh.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Did anyone else have the experience of Safari crashing after voting? It was weird, and led to my rebooting my Mac Pro and staring at logs for hours. Didn't figure out anything, though.
Didn't happen to me. This site appears Windows oriented, and usually ranks Fruity Loops as the best DAW.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Nope... didn't crash. Voted. Maybe I'll put a little banner ad to go vote in the upper left corner of the site (and have people get angry at me again for it!) LOL
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Omigosh! I'm using the 11th best DAW in the world! My folks'll be so proud!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Shooshie wrote:Omigosh! I'm using the 11th best DAW in the world! My folks'll be so proud!
:lol:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Haha! I blame myself! I never made a banner. But the funny thing is you realize just how irrelevant these things are. The mighty "industry-standard" ProTools is 9th. Ableton LIVE is 1st. Then the Grim Cheaper is #3. I also have to wonder if we're seeing the ascent of DAWs that cater to users who aren't so much musicians in the heretofore traditional sense, as much as they are "assemblers" slicing and dicing prerecorded loops.

There's another poll I'd like to see. Which DAW has the most users that are able to regularly deduct the cost of their computers and music software on their income taxes? ;)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

An awful lot of serious musicians cannot be bothered to follow stuff like this on the internet. We don't see them on these forums and they don't respond to polls. So yea, this poll is biased from the get go to cater to the kinds of people that do.

I think kids today are really into electronic music more so then learning an instrument. A lot of people I know with kids into music, say their kids can't stop talking about EDM and dubstep. Ableton caters to them. FL Studio was also quite high on the list, which also caters to them. Reaper being that high was surprising to me also....I attribute that to my comment above... I've played around with Reaper many times and it does have a few cool features and smart thinking, but it also has just as much rough around the edges aspects.

I think its somewhat of a meaningless and pointless poll because the truth is there are a dozen or more excellent DAW's out there, each excellent in their own way and capable of producing awesome music. People have their favorites and internet junkies (like ourselves?) tend to gravitate towards particular favorites.

My view about DP is that certain insiders that I know and respect a lot have relied on DP for many years for certain key features (primarily related to film scoring) and its a very reliable platform that is easy on the eyes with awesome routing capabilities and for me one of the best reasons of all, I can use all MOTU hardware and be somewhat confident the software/hardware combo has been fully tested and will receive no finger pointing to other vendors if something goes wrong. But I haven't had any problems with it to need to ask.

I contrast that to forays I made with Logic, Cubase(windows), Sonar and some others. They all end up having some odd issues which I could ultimately never solve, but have not ever had that problem with DP.

I think ProTools would be my next choice and would expect equal reliability, however the MIDI features on DP blow it away, which are really important for me.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

James Steele wrote:I also have to wonder if we're seeing the ascent of DAWs that cater to users who aren't so much musicians in the heretofore traditional sense, as much as they are "assemblers" slicing and dicing prerecorded loops.
This!!!