any benefit looping a MIDI section?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

any benefit looping a MIDI section?

Post by williemyers »

hey all,
is there any advantage - - CPU and/or memory-wise - - to Looping a MIDI section, as opposed to copy & pasting a bunch of bars?
thanks
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
wvandyck

Re: any benefit looping a MIDI section?

Post by wvandyck »

Good question.

My hunch is that with fairly current computers the real issue is the cpu hit from running VI vs the MIDI data.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The only advantage is if you are procrastinating or stuck and need a diversion to drive you crazy. In terms of notation it makes a lot if sense to use a repeat.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not a direct answer, but if you haven't settled on the part, it is easier to edit a looping part than many pasted iterations of it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Looping MIDI is hugely beneficial to the composing process. I miss Studio Vision.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42 wrote:Looping MIDI is hugely beneficial to the composing process. I miss Studio Vision.
I used to use it (maybe too much!) in SVP and I miss that app as well. But I have truly abandoned the idea of exact repetition in my work. I deplore it. Give me variations!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Oh yea for sure. Composing and Production, two different things really. When creating and working out ideas, the ability to quickly loop things and reuse bits here and there, gets things flowing. I agree with you though, the final production needs to be linearized in order to create variations, some subtle, some not.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
MIDI Life Crisis

dewdman42 wrote:...the final production needs to be linearized in order to create variations, some subtle, some not.

:headbang:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

thanks, guys....good answers, all!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
frankf

Post by frankf »

dewdman42 wrote:.... I agree with you though, the final production needs to be linearized in order to create variations, some subtle, some not.
I love new verbs!

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Looping is fast, but it's not flexible when cutting up sections and reorganizing them, or copying a few bars in/out. If the DAW were smart enough to fill-in the looped section when you do things like that, it would be great. Maybe some do. Maybe DP does. I wouldn't know; I've used looping so very seldom that I can only just remember how. As with MLC, to my ears anything repeated exactly is not doing all it can. That said, the greatest composers all repeated stuff verbatim. Sometimes it was a form in itself (Baroque binary form, for example), sometimes it was the exposition of Sonata Allegro form, and sometimes (Debussy, for example) it was to give the listener a chance to savor a passage and comprehend its function. I think Debussy was more likely to repeat a couple of bars verbatim than Ravel, who was always changing a pattern here or there. So, everyone does it, and it can be very effective, but when it's used to fill up space, that's where I draw the line.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Sometimes it was a form in itself (Baroque binary form, for example), sometimes it was the exposition of Sonata Allegro form, and sometimes (Debussy, for example) it was to give the listener a chance to savor a passage and comprehend its function.
I always assumed it was because when you heard a piece before recordings were available, there was a good chance you'd never hear it again. Now, you might hear it a few hundred times. For me, the best songs have a magic section that only plays once.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:...the greatest composers all repeated stuff verbatim. ...
Shooshie
And other times, not so much... watch at least the first 10 minutes. Great stuff, if you like that "academic research, science stuff."

I do.

http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk/events/1967/199

I never play ANYTHING the same way twice (even the classics). Not always by design, but more often than not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Sometimes it was a form in itself (Baroque binary form, for example), sometimes it was the exposition of Sonata Allegro form, and sometimes (Debussy, for example) it was to give the listener a chance to savor a passage and comprehend its function.
I always assumed it was because when you heard a piece before recordings were available, there was a good chance you'd never hear it again. Now, you might hear it a few hundred times. For me, the best songs have a magic section that only plays once.
Our ears are desensitized with recordings, and that's a shame, really. The repeats serve a purpose, and that purpose is the reason they developed the forms in the way they did. I'm not going to get academic on you, but I just want to say that it took me 30 or 40 years to fully appreciate the repeats in baroque binary form and sonata-allegro form, as well as many other forms. But in those two forms and in the special forms of bourees, gavottes, minuets and the like, the repeats really have an impact on the balance of the piece of music.

Forms developed to fulfill certain expectations that are derived from the way we are wired up. They weren't arbitrarily created for us to have to sit through endlessly. If you're fully engaged with the music at hand, the repeat becomes a very desirable, very moving part of the experience. But if you cannot engage with the music — which is usually the fault of lackadaisical performance — then the repeats drag a bad experience on interminably.

When you hear someone like Henryk Szeryng playing Bach's partitas and sonatas, you just don't want it to be over. Even with the repeats, it ends too soon. Many performers use the repeat as an opportunity to improvise and embellish the music with ornamentation (in jazz we just call it taking a solo), and that's a valid option, too, that keeps the music more entertaining.

But unless the form calls for it and the music exploits that aspect of the form, simple looping of music is like listening to fingernails on a chalk board.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One of my pet peeves is song structure that starts with
four bars of a bass;
then four bars of bass and guitar;
then four bars of bass, guitar, and drums;
then four bars of bass, guitar, drums and something else;

and THEN, finally, the dang song.

When a song starts that way, I feel like going for coffee. I could probably get back in time for the song, if it's worth it. C'mon, folks! Hit me with your best shot! Give me something to sink my teeth in on the first bar! Think "Beethoven's 5th!"

Shooshie