MIDI export not lining up to grid

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
johnleesanders
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI export not lining up to grid

Post by johnleesanders »

I arrange and compose backing tracks for a well known website. The client wants everything in general MIDI, and I export DP into MIDI tracks, format 1, separate tracks.
He's importing these into cakewalk I believe, but he says the tracks don't line up on beat one, on the grid. I'm quantizing everything to the appropriate groove, 8ths, swing, 16ths. etc.
I don't have Cakewalk, since it's a PC program, and I'm on a Mac.
Anyone have an issue with this, and have a solution?
John Lee Sanders
http://johnleesanders.com
Emmy Nominated Composer, Americana Roots Music, Film, Television, Commercials, multi-instrumentalist, keys, saxes, vocals, guitar, bass
Jazz, blues, roots, pop, Gospel
Lenovo 8 core Hackintosh, DP8, Kontakt 5, EWSL Play, Hollywood Strings, Waves, Macbook Pro
Shooshie

Re: MIDI export not lining up to grid

Post by Shooshie »

Hi John,

When it comes to cross-platform, who knows what happens? I sure don't. But I export from DP and upload to Sibelius all the time, and it comes out exact, there. I don't have another up-to-date DAW to test it in at the moment, having stopped updating all my non-essential software when I went to 64 bits, so I can't tell you if it works in others besides Cakewalk.

I'm guessing that if you are creating stuff that's quantized to the beat, and if you export it to SMF, then it's probably right on the beat. Nevertheless, it's possible that Sibelius fixes small errors without asking me, so how would I know? All I know is that it's all accurate within Sibelius, and it goes back into DP in the right place.

Have you called MOTU about this? Maybe this is something they know about, some cross-platform thing with Cakewalk. Meanwhile, I do hope someone else in this forum has a recent copy of Cakewalk and can test it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Do you have "Conductor track" selected in the Control Panel?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hi John,
I have a copy of CW on my wife's computer and did a test.
All I can say is that it works like it's suppose to work and MIDI files line up correctly in CW, quantized and not.
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.