How to filter MIDI signals coming in

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to filter MIDI signals coming in

Post by wonder »

I have a MIDI keyboard that's going on the fritz. Its sending random CC84, 74, and a few other messages while I'm trying to score some stuff.

I've tried the MIDI input filter but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to
1. have DP ignore exclusive CC signals coming in while recording?
2. select and delete ALL the CC84 events in a MIDI track? I can't find where to select all specific CC controls. When I highlight the track and delete it deletes notes, Mod wheel info and everything.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Shooshie

Re: How to filter MIDI signals coming in

Post by Shooshie »

wonder wrote:I have a MIDI keyboard that's going on the fritz. Its sending random CC84, 74, and a few other messages while I'm trying to score some stuff.

I've tried the MIDI input filter but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to
1. have DP ignore exclusive CC signals coming in while recording?
2. select and delete ALL the CC84 events in a MIDI track? I can't find where to select all specific CC controls. When I highlight the track and delete it deletes notes, Mod wheel info and everything.
You can do both, and yes, the MIDI Input Filter does work. You may not be applying it or something. I don't know, but I've used it recently enough to strongly believe that it works without having to test it. Come to think of it, DP 8.07 did come out since I last used it, but I have extreme doubts that that feature got broken in the update. I'll check next time I am working.

For now, if you'd like to delete all the CC84 events, just find one such event and double-click it. That should select all events of that type.

If for some reason THAT doesn't work, select a CC84 event and invoke QuickFilter, which is in the bottom left corner of the MIDI Graphic Edit Window, which is the window where you will work most efficiently when doing MIDI. That will hide all data types but the one(s) you selected. You can easily do what you want, then.

Actually, the double-click thing should work. I'm just giving you options.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wonder

Post by wonder »

I don't think I'm using the MIDI Filter correctly.

re: deleting by double clicking, I did find that out yesterday and it was a huge help. The issue is that some of the events are SO small on the sequence window that it's like finding a needs in a haystack.
Also, when I pull the MIDI Edit Layer in the Sequence window, it give me an option to select Controller 84 but I'm scanning the entire track and don't see ANY Controller 84 events. I also looked in the Event Window and don't see and Controller 84 messages either. Unless i'm going blind.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
frankf

Post by frankf »

Try the Event Window (the track's contextual menu> Open In-event Window) with the View Filter set to view only CC 84. Easier on the eyes then browsing in the sequence window.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wonder wrote:I don't think I'm using the MIDI Filter correctly.

re: deleting by double clicking, I did find that out yesterday and it was a huge help. The issue is that some of the events are SO small on the sequence window that it's like finding a needs in a haystack.
Also, when I pull the MIDI Edit Layer in the Sequence window, it give me an option to select Controller 84 but I'm scanning the entire track and don't see ANY Controller 84 events. I also looked in the Event Window and don't see and Controller 84 messages either. Unless i'm going blind.
Hmm... I don't know why it would do that. Maybe once you've had CC84, the layer is already created and doesn't go away. That shouldn't be the case, though. I'm betting there's one little CC84 dot somewhere in the sequence. Usually, you'll find those at a value of "0" or else a Bar 1|1|000. Those are the places where they get masked by lines in the interface.

Go to the MIDI Graphic Edit Window (really, do MIDI there, not the Sequence Editor, except for special purposes) and look in the controller/velocity panel. Over on the left there is a vertical scale. Click it for some different views. One of those views is Pitch Bend ONLY. If you're in that view, you won't see any controllers. Another view shows Pitch Bend and all other types. The third view shows other types ONLY, and no Pitch Bend. In one of those views you might see the missing dot a little more clearly. You can contract your sequence so that it all fits in one screen, and that's a faster way of searching, visually, for controllers.

Or, you can do as Frank said and use the Event List. That's a quick way, too.

Failing those, select the whole track, then go to the Search menu (Edit/Search) and search for a controller type of 84. If you're in a hurry, Search should be your FIRST stop. You can piggy-back that search on top of the current selection, and it will even delete it for you if it finds anything (and if you tell it to).

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Is the keyboard connected via USB or MIDI? If MIDI and you're using a MOTU MIDI interface, you can use Clockworks to filter out controllers on the incoming cable. Although come to think of it, I don't think it can filter SPECIFIC controllers, so perhaps you're better off trying to use DP's input filter.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!