Is there a way to make a sequence Auto Stop?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there a way to make a sequence Auto Stop?

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:My next issue to tackle when I feel ambitious is dealing with a section of a song that's sort of a break down... it's my homage to Def Leppard where it's just drum beat, hand claps, cowbell and a "Woah-oh-oh-oh-oh" thing. I want to be able to extend that section on the fly. I'm figuring I could do that by loading the chunk with a 4 bar repeat built in and then let it cycle during that section using a footswitch to send a command to DP that would turn off looping and then the song would continue along.
I think you have it figured out already! There's one possible snag, but I haven't done this in many years, so I don't know what the status is right now. In the past, there were versions that didn't do a perfect memory loop, but which paused a little at each rewind. It's STILL possible to make these work, but it requires some extra setup. First, let's hope that you don't have to do anything but let the memory loop play. If there's a delay snag, here's how you can get around it. Time the delay. Time it for several iterations, because it may be different the 2nd time around. Find the average delay time. Let's say that it's a 16th note, or pretty close to it. Under that assumption, here's how you can get around it:

1) before the loop point (end-point, before it rewinds back to the start point) create a bar of 15/16 meter.
2) AFTER the loop point, create a bar of 17/16 meter.
3) Use sounds that have a delayed release time.
4) if your sounds don't have a delayed release time, any MIDI that happens in that bar should be diverted to a 2nd set of sounds that DO have delayed release time, but are otherwise identical.
5) when you perform, it reaches the jump-back point in the loop and the delayed-release sounds cover the gap. The 15/16 bar compensates time wise for the gap.
6) when you turn off the loop and continue, the 17/16 bar compensates for the short bar. Start your downbeats on the 2nd 16th note of the bar, and they will play like a normal bar 16 16th notes to the bar.

When you get it right, it all sounds like nothing ever happened. Nobody will ever know that it took a bit of setup to make that happen.

Of course, the hope is that the rewind takes place without a hitch in the time, but as I said, I haven't done that for performance in many years, so I don't know the current status of it. (coulda tested it, but I don't have DP open right now)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll look it up. I have never used DP live before so never really needed to mess with Auto Stop before.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Shooshie. My sequences are mostly playing back just audio. No MIDI *instruments* involved. Only MIDI tracks are sending program changes to my guitar rack.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Thanks Shooshie. My sequences are mostly playing back just audio. No MIDI *instruments* involved. Only MIDI tracks are sending program changes to my guitar rack.
Ah, then you may not be using bars and bar lines. In that case, just adjusting the timing of the audio ought to do the trick. You could have reverb cut in if necessary to cover any gap. Careful planning of what plays at that moment will make it possible.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh, I actually am using bars and bar lines. I'm confused a little. I'll just have to try it out and see what happens! :)

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

bayswater wrote:Thanks Dan. Can I ask how you came across this? Is it explicitly covered anywhere in the manual?
This has been an old question to me for theatre and dance live shows. I wrote a few posts on this subject here, to no success.
So, I was gambling around, and came to this trick by chance, and trial and error, and shooting in the dark...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...