Step Input in 8.07 (resolved)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
elcappn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Step Input in 8.07 (resolved)

Post by elcappn »

Hi All,

I posted this to the Facebook group, but thought I try here as well. For those who've updated to DP 8.07, are any of you having problems with step input working? It worked fine in 8.06, but I tried to use it today and nothing happens when I try to input notes. I started a TechLink with MOTU already, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this same problem in 8.07.
Last edited by elcappn on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
Shooshie

Re: Step Input in 8.07

Post by Shooshie »

elcappn wrote:Hi All,

I posted this to the Facebook group, but thought I try here as well. For those who've updated to DP 8.07, are any of you having problems with step input working? It worked fine in 8.06, but I tried to use it today and nothing happens when I try to input notes. I started a TechLink with MOTU already, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this same problem in 8.07.

I just used it, and it's working same as always. COMMAND-8 starts step record (opens the Step Record Window), and the keypad numbers determine the value of each step.

Do you have AutoStep turned on? If not, it could be waiting for you to enter the step (Enter Key) It's so easy to accidentally turn off Auto-Step with the * key on the numeric keypad.

Incidentally, here's a cheat-sheet I made years ago for Step Recording. Feel free to drag it to your Finder, open in Preview and print it out.

Hope you get it working again,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Step Input works here with 8.0.7 as it did in 8.0.6.

Repaired permission after the installation. No issues noted.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

Thanks guys,

I did a full uninstall and re-install of DP and step record is now working as it did before I updated.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

Shooshie wrote: Incidentally, here's a cheat-sheet I made years ago for Step Recording...Shooshie
Very nice!

But what is that key symbol for the 'step' command??
I don't recognize what computer key that's supposed to represent...

Thanks!
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
wvandyck

Re: Step Input in 8.07 (resolved)

Post by wvandyck »

charlesparente wrote:
But what is that key symbol for the 'step' command??
I don't recognize what computer key that's supposed to represent...

Thanks!
Shooshie's chart is very nice!

It's the Enter key.
I had to cross reference the chart on page 260 of the manual. :mrgreen:
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

wvandyck wrote: Shooshie's chart is very nice!

It's the Enter key.
I had to cross reference the chart on page 260 of the manual. :mrgreen:
Nice!
Thanks for letting me know!
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ah yes, the ENTER key. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. But there are always people around here you can depend on!

By the way, there are little stands you can put that on to hold it on your desk while you work. I have a stack of such cheat sheets, and I keep whichever one I need up front. I print them out on heavy, glossy brochure or photo paper, cut them out and insert them into the little stands.

Shooshie

A couple old pictures:
(note the color of the stands. Those were bought at the original Apple Store at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, during the peak of the colored iMac craze.)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|