setting up VI's as V-Racks in a template?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

setting up VI's as V-Racks in a template?

Post by williemyers »

h'lo again, all...
I've begun building an orchestral/scoring template - my first :oops:
I'm going to have loadz - 25 or more - of Kontakt 5 instances that, if all were loaded, would exceed my MacPro's current RAM (16Gb). So I've come up with the following "work-around"...
I had noticed that V-racks can be turned off or on in the Chunks window. So I'm putting each K5 instance in to a V-rack. Once they'll all "V-racked", I'm going to the Chunks window and turning them off. Then I'm saving the template.
Then when I open a new project, the template loads, but with all instances/V-racks unloaded and I can go in to the chunks windows and select the instances/V-racks I'd like to use for that project. At least, that's the way I'm planning to do it now. I jsut wondered if any of you would offer suggestions for a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
many thanks in advance.
((btw, note for MOTU - - it might be worth considering the following; upon opening any DP project that contains V-Racks/VI's, a window pops up saying "You have a number of V-Racks/VI's in this project. Please check the one's you would like to load now."))
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
FMiguelez

Re: setting up VI's as V-Racks in a template?

Post by FMiguelez »

What you described above was exactly how I used to do it when I had my reliable but awfully limited G5.

It works great, and you can really manage the computer's resources like that.

I still think of the Chunks window as the main control panel for DP. It's still the "center of operations" in my template 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Another way might be to leave the VI as a track, with the track enable buttons turned off. When you want to use one, right click on the track and send it to a V-Rack.. but would that automatically turn it on?

OK, now I need to know.. gonna fire it up. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:Another way might be to leave the VI as a track, with the track enable buttons turned off. When you want to use one, right click on the track and send it to a V-Rack.. but would that automatically turn it on?

OK, now I need to know.. gonna fire it up. :wink:
You can do that, but it's more trouble than making a V-Rack in your template, with the VIs disabled.

By the way, you can turn a V-Rack off in the Chunks Window. I haven't tested this recently, but I'm pretty sure that if you turn off the V-Rack chunk, it disables the entire V-Rack. Also, you can have as many V-Racks as you want. Strings, Brass, Winds, Extra Winds, Extra Brass, Keyboards, Guitars... Whatever. (Or you can put it all in one V-Rack, of course.) They all show up in the mixing board as if they were one... plus you can choose which ones to display. I like having at least two, and sometimes more V-Racks.

[just tested it; yes, it does turn off when you disable the chunk. I thought so, but I hadn't done it in a while, and just wanted to make sure.]

Just sayin'... lots of options.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote: By the way, you can turn a V-Rack off in the Chunks Window. I haven't tested this recently, but I'm pretty sure that if you turn off the V-Rack chunk, it disables the entire V-Rack.
It does.
And it also releases any used CPU.

I love it.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

FMiguelez wrote:What you described above was exactly how I used to do it when I had my reliable but awfully limited G5....
FM, appreciate that! Just a question? If this is how you "used to do it", do you have a different way to do it now? (keep loads of VI's from loading, that is)?
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

williemyers wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:What you described above was exactly how I used to do it when I had my reliable but awfully limited G5....
FM, appreciate that! Just a question? If this is how you "used to do it", do you have a different way to do it now? (keep loads of VI's from loading, that is)?
Bad wording on my part.

I still use and abuse that exact method with my new setup. It is vital for my template.

Actually, I can't see myself not using it. It's really awesome 8)

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

williemyers wrote:FM, appreciate that! Just a question? If this is how you "used to do it", do you have a different way to do it now? (keep loads of VI's from loading, that is)?
You can see a pic of my Chunks window in the thread I link below, if you want to check it out.

Today it's a little more consolidated and simplified (courtesy of the power of my new master computer I was able to consolidate and get rid of some chunks and V-racks), but in essence, it's the same (my template seems to never stop evolving).
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ck#p480066

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

FMiguelez wrote: You can see a pic of my Chunks window in the thread I link below, if you want
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ck#p480066
FM, this is *extremely* helpful! Thanks so much for linking to it

~me