Plug sound Pro on sale

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug sound Pro on sale

Post by Michael Canavan »

Plug Sound Pro is 50% off right now, down to $60 if bought from JRR shop!

Question for owners who also own Kontakt:
Is it worth it to get this, are the samples any better the the standard samples included in Kontakt? I'm not sure if I need another standard ok sounding library? I have Garriton Personal Orchestra, The Kontakt library with legacy Akoustic Piano, and Kirk Hunter Strings. That's a lot of standard sounds..
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
jloeb

Re: Plug sound Pro on sale

Post by jloeb »

I wouldn't get it in that case. I've had it since way back in the day. It's good solid bread-and-butter. But there's no question that it's a pretty old library.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've used the PSP basic grand on broadcast tracks and no one complains. I don't as if this past year, moving to True Pianos, but the PSP library has a very low CPU hit and has some very useful sounds.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Plug Sound Pro is 50% off right now, down to $60 if bought from JRR shop!

Question for owners who also own Kontakt:
Is it worth it to get this, are the samples any better the the standard samples included in Kontakt? I'm not sure if I need another standard ok sounding library? I have Garriton Personal Orchestra, The Kontakt library with legacy Akoustic Piano, and Kirk Hunter Strings. That's a lot of standard sounds..
I have the same stuff, and MachFive too, but when I saw this sale I was still tempted. But I recently got SampleTank 3 which also appears to have a lot of overlap with PlugSound Pro. In fact the demos sound a lot like ST 3 demos, and there's even some similarity in the preset names and folder structures. So I'm not so sure. I wonder if UVI and IKM are using the same sources, or maybe buying from each other.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Plug sound Pro on sale

For $60 this is truly a no brainer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For $60 this is truly a no brainer.
I suppose so... It's a lot of patches for $60.

If you have a recent version of Kontakt plus M5 v3 (which comes with a very good piano), I'm just not sure how much if anything it's adding to your palette.
MIDI Life Crisis

It adds a lot of variety and a few unique sounds. The extreme fx included in MachFive are PSP compatible as well and running in PSP they are more CPU friendly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I didn't have time to look at its content in full yet. I typically avoid grab-baggers as too shallow, sampled in thirds (in many cases), or overlap of other products.

Does anyone know if there is unique content in this library or if it was essentially a "teaser" for the more extensive libraries they came out with later (in which case those of us with MachFive 3 and a few of UVI's other libraries may already own all the content)?

FWIW, I have found UVI very transparent. For instance, after fretting over their recent sale and what might already be contained in MachFive 3 and Ethno 2, I gave up trying to intuit the answer from on-line documentation etc. and just wrote and asked, and they responded! I'm not used to vendors doing that. They did confirm that the world library and the extended gong library are completely contained inside Ethno 2. It was likely but not guaranteed to be true.

I was hoping True Pianos would go on sale recently but didn't see such a sale. Ravenscroft is now my go-to piano for a lot of things, and I liked True Pianos when I tried the demo (which expired a while back, but I was hesitant to buy them in case I already did -- I can find no email trace of the demo license, no expired demos on my iLok, and no email trace of an actual product purchase, but got MachFive launch errors until I deleted the True Pianos non-Ravenscroft libraries from my disc as presumably unpurchased libraries).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Going o/t... I like true pianos but be aware, it is pretty obvious it's all one piano EQ'd and processed to sound different. I didn't call them on it, but the German grand is the only clean sample set. Maybe I'll post the evidence when I'm back on the west coast next week.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Sorry, I did it again. I just can't keep these two products straight in my head due to the similarity in name. I meant VI Labs True Keys; I actually do not care much for True Pianos (though I don't dislike them either; I just never felt compelled to buy them).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

They need some tweaking but can sound quite good. I used it on Too Much Johnson posted elsewhere on the forum.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi guys

for what it's worth, VI Labs True keys IMHO is well worth getting, the pianos samples are comprehensive and have una cord, sostenuto and sustain pedal switching.

You only get 3 pianos but I get a smile from every piano player that tries them for the first time including one recent, excellent pianist, but die hard 'real piano' traditionalist/snob, who by the end of the session was 'sold'/silenced!

I wish they'd also do an upright as sometimes a grand is just too 'grand' in a mix.

Well worth the money
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was under the impression that this library runs in Mach Five. I've set up the authorization in my iLok. I can play the presets in UVI Workstation, but Mach Five reports it is "unable to mount volume ... no valid authorization found".

Should this work with Mach Five? Is there something specific that needs to be done?
MIDI Life Crisis

BOTH UFS files need to be present as I recall, and there is an authorization to be made. That's all my old brain can remember.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BOTH UFS files need to be present as I recall, and there is an authorization to be made. That's all my old brain can remember.
"Both"?? There was only one .rar file to download, and it expanded into one 8.26G UFS file. The UVI site says that PSP is a 8.28G library. Maybe the file is corrupt, but the UVI player can access it OK. Do you have two PSP UFS files? What size are they?