Plug sound Pro on sale

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plug sound Pro on sale

Post by mhschmieder »

It's possible they've gone back and forth on how many files are involved, just like MOTU Ethno.

If you compare your total size on disc to their published specs for library size, compressed vs. uncompressed might be different but not by a factor of two, so that might provide clues as to whether you're missing a second half. Sometimes those are downloaded differently, to minimize piracy.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:It's possible they've gone back and forth on how many files are involved, just like MOTU Ethno.

If you compare your total size on disc to their published specs for library size, compressed vs. uncompressed might be different but not by a factor of two, so that might provide clues as to whether you're missing a second half. Sometimes those are downloaded differently, to minimize piracy.
UVI says there is a one UFS file at 8.28G. I have one UFS at 8.26G. The RAR file was 3.6 which is a bigger than usual compression rate, but not impossible. The file size could be a problem, but could be a difference in how file sizes are expressed.

Anyway, I've sent all the details to UVI in a support ticket. I can use UVI workstation in the meantime. What I find odd is if some additional authorization is required or if the library is corrupt, it does not seem to be required or corrupt when using UVI workstation.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Here is a link to the presets list, with sizes for each preset:

http://cdn.waycom.net/media/universsons ... s_list.pdf

I'm going to check these details now against MachFive 2 and Ethno 2 to see if they subsume this library.

Here's Sound On Sound's review of the product from when it first came out:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun07/a ... undpro.htm
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I'll see if I can figure out how to do a comparison.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The Plugsound Lib (Extreme FX) is identical to the M5 version. Does M5 include the basic (not the demo) soundest? If so, it should be identical as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BOTH UFS files need to be present as I recall, and there is an authorization to be made. That's all my old brain can remember.
"Both"?? There was only one .rar file to download, and it expanded into one 8.26G UFS file. The UVI site says that PSP is a 8.28G library. Maybe the file is corrupt, but the UVI player can access it OK. Do you have two PSP UFS files? What size are they?
Maybe they changed that? I always needed two files (about 4GB each) to get the thing to work.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, this is truly bizarre. Disc 1 of MachFive 2 is 8.45 GB and almost exactly matches up with the PlugSound Pro patch list, except it has fewer patches even though it's roughly the same size library! The choice of specific instruments (e.g. a Guild and Martin for acoustic guitars) and near-identical patch names is way too coincidental, but possibly MachFive drew from multiple sources as the church organ patches seem quite different for instance.

Edit: I think I have it figured out. MachFive Synthesis and Sound Design & Fx came from different sources, so the PlugSOund Pro portion is probably ½ to ⅔ of that library, meaning there's a lot of overlap but they aren't completely redundant of each other.

The redundancy factor increases significantly if you own Ethno 2. For instance, MachFive 2 (I didn't yet check my MachFive 3 banks) is missing the Celtic Guitar from PlugSound Pro, but that is part of Ethno 2.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:Well, this is truly bizarre. Disc 1 of MachFive 2 is 8.45 GB and almost exactly matches up with the PlugSound Pro patch list, except it has fewer patches even though it's roughly the same size library!
That's what I feared. I didn't have time to do a detailed comparison of MachFive 3 presets and the Plugsound Pro presets. They seem to have a lot of overlap at least in the preset names. Hope I didn't buy too many samples I already have.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BOTH UFS files need to be present as I recall, and there is an authorization to be made. That's all my old brain can remember.
"Both"?? There was only one .rar file to download, and it expanded into one 8.26G UFS file. The UVI site says that PSP is a 8.28G library. Maybe the file is corrupt, but the UVI player can access it OK. Do you have two PSP UFS files? What size are they?
Maybe they changed that? I always needed two files (about 4GB each) to get the thing to work.
There are two files about 4G each for the Extreme FX library, and you need both of them in place to load any of the presets. I have that as part of MachFive. If you also have two 4G files for PlugSoundPro, then I guess that has been changed.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The Plugsound Lib (Extreme FX) is identical to the M5 version. Does M5 include the basic (not the demo) soundest? If so, it should be identical as well.
Didn't see this. I'm talking about PlugSoundPro, http://www.uvi.net/en/composer-tools/plugsound-pro.html
not the Extreme FX library http://www.uvi.net/en/synth-sound-design/xtreme-fx.html
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Support says the current PSP library version requires Mach Five 3.2.1. I had 3.2.0. It need the latest UVI player as well. Works now.
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Doesn't Plug Sound Pro have licensing restrictions about using the sounds in commercial music. I think I remember buying it a few years ago (it was one of my first sound libraries), and then being turned-off by the restriction notice.

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

MikeInBoston wrote:Doesn't Plug Sound Pro have licensing restrictions about using the sounds in commercial music. I think I remember buying it a few years ago (it was one of my first sound libraries), and then being turned-off by the restriction notice.

Mike
Wouldn't be much of a "pro" thing if they did. I don't see it in their EULA and even if they did, I doubt it would be enforceable. Seriously, how could they tell it was theirs and who would be "policing" it. Personally, I ignore that in VIs. Sample libraries do sometimes limit you as well but the same reservations apply. How do they prove it and who is listening to commercial products and listening for infringements - especially in a mix?

I wouldn't give that a second thought.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

EULA (End User License Agreement)

UVI allows you to use any sounds from UVI libraries (even in its original state) within a musical or sonic composition with no problem. You can also use the sounds in a composite of sounds BUT you aren't allowed to use the sounds as single elements in a competitive product.