How is this kind of thing done?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How is this kind of thing done?

Post by FMiguelez »

BBK-OZ wrote:Any in particular you would recommend?
Sorry, BBK. Actually, I had opened a lot of Safari tabs with what I thought were related tutorials, but most of what I found is either, crap, unrelated, or videos of already finished "songifying"... :(

I haven't found anything useful as I thought...

Anyone has a good recommendation for us? Perhaps Babz knows about a good one?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:
Sorry, BBK. Actually, I had opened a lot of Safari tabs with what I thought were related tutorials, but most of what I found is either, crap, unrelated, or videos of already finished "songifying"... :(

She basically told you how it's done:
  • Babz wrote:It is done using Auto-tune via its "Target Notes via MIDI" option. You basically play melody notes on a MIDI keyboard along with the speech. Then go back and clean things up with the mouse. Or you could do it note-by-note with just a mouse, but I would think that would get quite tedious. You could do it with other pitch tracking plugins besides actual Auto-tune, if they allow you to input with MIDI notes. AFAIK, DP's pitch features do not.
I was thinking it might be possible in DP, but it would be done with each note transposed by hand. I was hoping that you could paste MIDI into DP's Pitch Layer, but you can't. You can copy the pitch layer and make MIDI from it (paste it into a MIDI track), but you can't paste MIDI back into the pitch layer. What you CAN do is paste Pitch Layer information back into the pitch layer, so once you get some notes/phrases, you can copy them and re-use them, even transposing them.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I guess I could try it with Vielklang, that accepts MIDI input.
Anyone got an E3000 laying around?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:

She basically told you how it's done:
  • Babz wrote:It is done using Auto-tune via its "Target Notes via MIDI" option. You basically play melody notes on a MIDI keyboard along with the speech. Then go back and clean things up with the mouse. Or you could do it note-by-note with just a mouse, but I would think that would get quite tedious. You could do it with other pitch tracking plugins besides actual Auto-tune, if they allow you to input with MIDI notes. AFAIK, DP's pitch features do not.
I know what she told me. And I got that. I read the whole thread with great insterest.

But I said I wanted to see a related video tutorial to see it in action. You know, Groove3 style.
Watching someone do something is a great and easy way of learning and seeing the gory details and workflow.

I also want to see how they do the editing of the videos (which seems to be a lot of it and an important part of the workflow as well).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Oh yeah... of course. Sorry, I wasn't thinking. It's always easier after you see someone actually doing it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Hey, how did I become 'BBK'?
:o :o :P
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote:Hey, how did I become 'BBK'?
:o :o :P
Ha!
Sorry about that, my friend!

It must've been one of my lapsus-brutus when editing my post.

MFiguelez.

:)

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I stumbled across this today and thought some might be interested. It is a a ~12 minute video covering the history of vocoders. If you know all about vocoding, this will probably bore you, but it is well done, and for me at least, quite interesting.

One take-away, an early military vocoder ('Sigsaly') took up 2500 square feet for each station and used LP vinyl for encoding/decoding noise in the signal.

From the New Yorker: http://video.newyorker.com/watch/object ... he-vocoder
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

and this (Ircam's TS plug) might be a useful tool trying to achieve the effect the OP was asking about: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=58326
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:and this (Ircam's TS plug) might be a useful tool trying to achieve the effect the OP was asking about: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=58326
Amazing. I've always wanted to know more about vocoders. One thing odd about the video is that several people dated the vocoder's popular rebirth in the 1970s, but I distinctly remember hearing it on radio stations in the mid/late 1960s. KILT AM radio in Houston would do the weather with a vocoder, having a guitar chord play and the voice would just say "Cloudy!" or "Rain" and probably other things. I'm reasonably sure that was mid-1960s.

That video was in rotation with several others that were interesting, including one about shooting breakfast cereals from guns to make them "puffed." Fascinating stuff!

Shooshie
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote:I stumbled across this today and thought some might be interested. It is a a ~12 minute video covering the history of vocoders. If you know all about vocoding, this will probably bore you, but it is well done, and for me at least, quite interesting.

One take-away, an early military vocoder ('Sigsaly') took up 2500 square feet for each station and used LP vinyl for encoding/decoding noise in the signal.

From the New Yorker: http://video.newyorker.com/watch/object ... he-vocoder
Thank you for your 2 posts, BKK.
I knew vocoders did funny things to signals and vocals, but I never used one before.

I just got my first ever vocoder... Not a very good one (it was free), but it should get me started :)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:
I just got my first ever vocoder... Not a very good one (it was free), but it should get me started :)
This is a very good free one:
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-vocoder
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:
This is a very good free one:
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-vocoder
Ha!

That's exactly the one I got! :)

I'm glad you think it's very good. :)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:This is how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8
:lol: :lol: