MIDI Note Mute exists in DP via QuickScribe Display-only

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Note Mute exists in DP via QuickScribe Display-only

Post by wvandyck »

Quickscribe mini menu items (or Commands) are the key to this functionality in DP.
- Change Selected Notes to: Display-only (This silences the selected notes)
- Display-only Notes: Select All (This reveals these notes)
- Change Selected Notes to: Small note heads ( This provides a visual cue of which notes are Display-only.
- Display-only Notes: If Display is unchecked, then they're not visible in Quickscribe.
-Change Selected Notes to: Normal (Notes sound again.)

Set up a window set with the MIDI Editor and Quickscribe. Select notes to be muted in Quickscribe. Use the command to change the selected notes to Display-only. They don't sound during playback or when using Freeze Tracks.

While the notes are selected, using the command to change the selected notes to small note heads if you want a visual visual.

Using key commands makes this work pretty efficiently.
______
http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions
Last edited by wvandyck on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI Note Mute exists in DP via QuickScribe Display-only

Post by stubbsonic »

Brilliant workaround.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's a great idea, and a great post. And if MIDI notes can be muted anywhere, why not everywhere? I think MOTU ought to make this possible in all windows with the Mute tool in the toolbar.

Thanks for illuminating a dim topic!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote:And if MIDI notes can be muted anywhere, why not everywhere? I think MOTU ought to make this possible in all windows with the Mute tool in the toolbar.
Exactly!

+1
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote:That's a great idea, and a great post. And if MIDI notes can be muted anywhere, why not everywhere? I think MOTU ought to make this possible in all windows with the Mute tool in the toolbar.

Thanks for illuminating a dim topic!

Shooshie
It's encouraging that folks are as excited about this as I am. I've been obsessing on this for a while now. :unicorn:

Bad Joke Alert: How hard can this be? Just copy a few lines of code from Quickscribe and paste them into all MIDI editors: Drum, Event List, MIDI (graphic), and Sequence Editors. :mrgreen: Seriously. :lol:

And yes, this should all be tied in with the Mute Tool toggle: select-drag click to mute and gray-out the notes or to un-mute.
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

Wow! Thank you for this tip.
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Right Hand, meet Left Hand.

Now it's up to both of you to figure out what the other is doing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FYI, I've added WVanDyck's work-around to the DP Tips Sheet, Part 3. Tips are added in the order they come in, so it's at the bottom of Part 3, right after some of my own recent additions. Some day I hope to reorganize all three parts more by association.

WVanDyck, I copied your great graphic to my own dropbox, but I labeled it with your name. I prefer to keep the graphics within the main tips in my own control, so that they don't get orphaned. If you were to look at some pages of the thread (not the 3 parts of the main Tips Sheet, but later pages), there are posts by others whose graphics have now disappeared, because they changed their online storage host, and they didn't come back to change their graphic links. When I go through a change like that, I literally go through the entire tips sheet thread and change every graphic address that's in my control. That's how I keep them up to date. If you for any reason do not want your picture on my DropBox, please let me know, and I'll put your own link back in, but be aware that I've been managing that thread for about 10 years now, and the links under my control still work. The graphic still has your name both on the graphic and in the title.

Thanks for a great tip! I'm sure lots of people will find it when searching for MIDI Mutes in the Tips Sheet.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shoosie,

Thank you for doing that!
It actually makes sense for you to keep a local copy for the benefit of others who may be looking for this type of solution.

More importantly to me is that you found this useful enough to take steps to ensure future access.

As an afterthought, I added the MOTU Suggestion Box to my post above.

:unicorn:
Last edited by wvandyck on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mikehalloran wrote:Right Hand, meet Left Hand.

Now it's up to both of you to figure out what the other is doing.
The code needs a few strategically placed worm holes. :mrgreen: