8.07 is out!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8.07 is out!

Post by BKK-OZ »

DP crashed on me the first time I opened it up after updating.

Interestingly, it picked up HEar (Flux binaural plugin) and scanned that (even though I haven't updated HEar for awhile now). HEar passed the AU scan, but DP quit before it even got to the splash screen.

DP opened up OK the second time around, and my latest project opened up fine, and I was able to instantiate HEar without any crashes or other problems, so I have no idea if it was HEar, DP, me, my computer...

Fingers crossed it was just some one-off hitch.

------
Got this from Disk Utility after I ran Disk Repair:

Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be 0; group is 80.
Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .
Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Anybody notice more non-crashing spinning beachballs, slowing things down a bit?

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Why do the updates always seem to happen when I'm out of town? C'mon MOTU, get my $h|+ together! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MikeInBoston wrote:Anybody notice more non-crashing spinning beachballs, slowing things down a bit?

Mike
Immediately after opening it I had a few beach balls, but then I noticed hard drives spinning up here and there, so I went to the System Preferences and clicked-off the box in Energy Saver that lets hard drives sleep. After that, no more beach balls all night long. I'm still working in it, and have made significant progress in a project I've picked up again after ignoring it for years. It started 9 years ago using MOTU Symphonic Instrument for strings (at the time). I later switched the strings to VSL, then VSL Dimension Strings, and I've been going through it trying to map out articulations and keyswitches. That requires rephrasing, so there's a LOT of MIDI redrawing of velocities and Expression Controller. I've been dragging parts between tracks, copy/pasting, drawing new notes, and even recording a bit of MIDI, and it's finally taking shape and sounding like music. In short, it's a MIDI intensive score with subtle phrasing and complex 20th century harmonies, and DP's been a champ. Not a crash yet.

Again, the beach balls on my setup were due to hard drives spinning up. I've got instruments on about 4 drives, the file on a fifth, and plugins and authorizations on various drives. The object was to keep any given disk's performance load light while funneling all the information into the CPU. That works great until one of them goes to sleep. So, I usually keep them from sleeping.

I've been very happy with 8.06 so far, though the Magic Trackpad issue is getting old, and I'm wondering if that's ever going to be a real option again. I'm actually considering going back to a trackball now, since my main reason for having a TrackPad seems to be fading away for good if they don't ever fix it. ("Considering" doesn't mean I'll do it. Just that I'm weighing the pros and cons. I might switch back to a trackball. More likely I won't.)

Back to DP 8.06: I think they may have added a theme or two. I'm not sure, because I don't use the MOTU themes, so I can't be sure they weren't there before. Meanwhile, AmpGUI's themes are working great for me. I mostly use Gotham, but also Warmer, Mellow, Gold Complete, Mellow Gold, Sleek, and Oxidized. I've tried them all, and there are no big problems with any of them, though a couple of them make a few text menus (bottom left corner of MIDI Graphic Edit Window) and the Quickfilter label hard to see, because the font color is similar to the background. (it's readable, barely, but I know where everything is, so 2 or 3 of those aren't going to slow me down any.)

Well, I seem not to have any real news about 8.06 other than it's working great for me so far. I'll stop wasting everyone's time and get back to work.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:DP crashed on me the first time I opened it up after updating.

Are you in OSX 10.9.x? I've noticed that most of my apps crash the first time I open them after installing or after doing a Safe Boot on the computer, then going back to regular boot. When logs and things are cleaned out, it starts over again, and every single app on my computer will quit the first time I boot it up. Then it opens again just fine, and continues to work until something resets everything again. Then all apps, including DP, will crash on startup, then work fine.

I've sent feedback to Apple about it, but doubt that it will come to anything. Eventually they'll figure it out.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:

Are you in OSX 10.9.x? I've noticed that most of my apps crash the first time I open them after installing or after doing a Safe Boot on the computer, then going back to regular boot. When logs and things are cleaned out, it starts over again, and every single app on my computer will quit the first time I boot it up. Then it opens again just fine, and continues to work until something resets everything again. Then all apps, including DP, will crash on startup, then work fine.

I've sent feedback to Apple about it, but doubt that it will come to anything. Eventually they'll figure it out.

Shooshie
DP 8 is consistent for me this way but nothing else - Logic sometimes. Last time I posted about that, no one chimed in. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I havent downloaded due to some major issues with my iMac. I'll post about that when they're resolved. I never thought I'd go online with my G4 again. :shake:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Trackpad issues still remain, ... it may be an Apple problem.
Disappointing. A quick swipe for scrolling is so useful.

We might have covered this before, but DP is the only app I have where vertical scrolling doesn't work, so I don't think it can be an Apple thing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:

We might have covered this before, but DP is the only app I have where vertical scrolling doesn't work, so I don't think it can be an Apple thing.
You may be right. When this first started happening, it was happening in many apps. Then it got better for some reason. I didn't update most of those apps. Apple may have fixed something. But why DP got left behind, I do not know. In the other apps, it manifested as a hesitation, not a complete spastic goof-up, as in DP.

Maybe something else I updated, such as Jitouch, may have made things better. I've given up trying to figure it out.

Shooshie
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I haven't looked around at current trackballs, but I may since the trackpad is forcing me to use the mouse a lot. I still don't like the mouse. Do any current trackballs support swipe gestures on their bodies?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:

You may be right. When this first started happening, it was happening in many apps. Then it got better for some reason. I didn't update most of those apps. Apple may have fixed something. But why DP got left behind, I do not know. In the other apps, it manifested as a hesitation, not a complete spastic goof-up, as in DP.

Maybe something else I updated, such as Jitouch, may have made things better. I've given up trying to figure it out.

Shooshie
This is really disappointing to hear. I followed Shooshie's lead on the Trackpad and, indeed, it is so great to use with DP7.24 (and everything else) that my mouse has been interred in a drawer for months now, never seeing the light of day. It's supremely tactile, great to mix and tweak with, can't imagine anything better this side of faders and knobs on a real board, iPad aside.

So now I'm staying in Mountain Lion (maybe) so that I can use MachFive v3, AND I'm also stuck in DP7.24 so that I can use the Apple Trackpad? I hate being that guy, have never been that guy, but these compatibility issues are forcing choices we really should not need to make.

Come on MOTU, now that you have Yosemite compatibility done, could we please get these (rather significant) ducks in a row?
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

labman wrote:Rusty,

8.05, and 8.06 cause erratic trackpad behavior (which MOTU knows about). Fader will not go up/down smoothly, and moving horizontal will sometimes move vertical. (8.04 is flawless)
Thanks for the reply, labman. Interesting to hear yours and Shooshie's accounts as I've had issues with the fader as well, although I don't think I've noticed the horizontal/vertical issue. The problem I've had is when writing fader automation during mixes with the trackpad, the fader will randomly and slowly pull all the way down and then go all the way up. This will cycle a few times before it will stop and return to becoming functional again. It will go through this cycle even after I stop the track. It completely stops workflow. This has been going on before 8.04, though. I just bought a Kensington Expert Trackball to see if that will remedy this issue.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I have noticed that crash-after-update thing (followed by everything fine after reboot) with DP updates in the past. So it's not unique to 8.07.

Haven't done 8.07 yet, but I'll watch out for it.

Babz
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

8.0.7 is off to a good start on my 2010 i5 MBP, 8GB RAM and OSX 10.9.4. 8)
Will update the Mini later today.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:
...Are you in OSX 10.9.x?...
Shooshie
Yep, 10.9.4

I worked in DP for about an hour or so after that crash without any more problems.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I installed the update, then ran permissions repair right after. There were a couple printer things, and a couple repairs that were related to audio plugins, including the MAS folder. YMMV

So just reminding about repairing permissions after DP updates and that being a good idea and all.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com