8.07 is out!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8.07 is out!

Post by Sean Kenny »

Been using 8.07 for a couple of days now, and seems solid enough but then so did 8.06 for me.

Hasn't fixed the issue where very long audio files regenerate their overviews and they don't have to be that long either 3 minutes is long enough.

Bit of a PITA

It has fixed the export QT movie when using a higher sample rate
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sean Kenny wrote:Hasn't fixed the issue where very long audio files regenerate their overviews and they don't have to be that long either 3 minutes is long enough.
Odd as I thought that was a specific fix MOTU listed and some other people reported this was working right now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

James Steele wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:Hasn't fixed the issue where very long audio files regenerate their overviews and they don't have to be that long either 3 minutes is long enough.
Odd as I thought that was a specific fix MOTU listed and some other people reported this was working right now.

yeh and it's a brand new Mac Pro and DP is the only DAW installed at the moment. Fortunately the machine is so fast that the redraws aren't that much of a hassle. Doesn't happen all the time. I'm trying to find a pattern of operations that triggers it..... no joy at the moment but if I do I'll post

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Sean Kenny wrote:
James Steele wrote:

yeh and it's a brand new Mac Pro and DP is the only DAW installed at the moment. Fortunately the machine is so fast that the redraws aren't that much of a hassle. Doesn't happen all the time. I'm trying to find a pattern of operations that triggers it..... no joy at the moment but if I do I'll post

Cheers

Sean
Wow, too bad, I was excited they listed that as a specific fix. That's been a dealbreaker for me in upgrading from DP7>DP8 as I work with hour+ files all the time in my daily work. Please keep us posted on this.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

The upgrade seemed to work fine for me but.... now Ethno 2 is broken! :( I'm not sure what happened.... Ethno plays loops fine but as soon as I select an instrument it crashes DP. It also does this when I tried Ethno 2 as a standalone....

It's possible also that an OSX upgrade did this and not the DP upgrade because it's been a month or so since I used Ethno 2. I've tried re-installing it but no luck so far.... it's been down now for 3-4 days, sent MOTU tech support an e-mail but haven't heard back from them.

My system is:
MacBook Pro
2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

OS X 10.9.4

DP8.07

UAD Apollo Quad
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

funkyfreddy wrote:The upgrade seemed to work fine for me but.... now Ethno 2 is broken! :( I'm not sure what happened.... Ethno plays loops fine but as soon as I select an instrument it crashes DP. It also does this when I tried Ethno 2 as a standalone....
ETHNO 2 in 2.04 version work fine at here with the Instruments under LION 10.7.5. _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sean Kenny wrote: Hasn't fixed the issue where very long audio files regenerate their overviews and they don't have to be that long either 3 minutes is long enough.
I would escalate that to MOTU support.

The first thing I did after installing yesterday was to open a 2 hour concert file that had the old issue. Working fine now.

8.07 didn't crash first time after startup for me. Nice!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be 0; group is 80.
Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .
Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”
Ready to launch now... :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Looks like I had one issue. It appears the 8.07 installer overwrites the folder with the .midinam and .mididev files in it. My custom patch names for my Rocktron MIDI Raider that I created in Cherry Picker appear to have been erased by the installer. I went to add some patches into a sequence a little while ago and ggggggone! I'm having to recreate it in Cherry Picker now. That'll teach me to figure out where the Devices directory is and back it up before running an installer!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No TimeMachine backup? That would be a drag and drop procedure.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:No TimeMachine backup? That would be a drag and drop procedure.
Actually this was on my MacBook (for live backing tracks) and it has only one drive (and one partition) and I didn't have this file on my studio computer. Live and learn. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to recreate it in Cherry Picker. :) So thankful we have that app back!

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've had some crashes in 8.07 while entering tempo changes in the conductor track. Not sure
if my Mac Pro was having a bad day or not. Yesterday DP crashed once while entering tempo changes, the day before I had no problems, the day before that I did have the same problem.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:Looks like I had one issue. It appears the 8.07 installer overwrites the folder with the .midinam and .mididev files in it. My custom patch names for my Rocktron MIDI Raider that I created in Cherry Picker appear to have been erased by the installer. I went to add some patches into a sequence a little while ago and ggggggone! I'm having to recreate it in Cherry Picker now. That'll teach me to figure out where the Devices directory is and back it up before running an installer!
Yes, I had to replace the Yamaha .midinam and .mididev files to get back my S90ES patch list. I had to do the same after moving from 8.03 to 8.06. Fortunately, I had the old files backed up, so it was an easy fix both times.

Other than that (knock wood), DP 8.07 has been flawless so far.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Found a bug of some sort. My old sequence template that originated long ago in DP5 had a 32 bit plug-in, which I deleted from the template when I when I transitioned to DP8. When I duplicate a mix in the mixing board, it tells me that plug can't be found....it's not there in the first place....and whenever I change from one mix to another, it tells me that again, no matter how many times I tell it to clear the missing plug.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

instacue wrote:Downloaded DP 8.07 - repaired permissions - have noticed a significantly larger performance hit using DP 8.07 on my system than when opening files that run easily in DP 8.04

Anyone else noticed that DP 8.07 has less performance headroom?

Files that play easily in DP 8.04 are totally in the red in the performance meter in DP 8.07 and won't play due to glitches, unless I close lots of tracks...
--OSX 10.6.8, Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
The prospect of a performance reduction leads me to "wait and see" with this update. I always run close to the edge..makes me feel like a member of the rock band YES.

As far as seeing people with various burps and crashes that go away after one or two times, my experience has been that when one changes their system and get a negative result, such as crashes, the “fix” is sometime hard to determine. After various repairs et al., “Things” just slowly get back to normal. It can be quite strange. It’s as if each individual computer is it’s own personality and has to “get used to” changes made to it. Not very scientific I know, but systems seem that way. My system has been very stable for a very long time. I’m in no hurry to “annoy” my studios finicky little Mac god...lol

I will add this, here is my deep repair routine:
1) Permissions. (usually doesn;t do much)
2) Check the disks with apple disk utility , 2x each disk, to ensure nothing is wrong. If something shows up needing a fix, fix using installer disk if the problem is the system drive.
3) Go to terminal and run this command: sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
This does various apple recommended repairs and clean ups.
4) Start the computer with the shift held down which opens comp in safe boot and runs fsk repair automatically. Then re start the regular way.
5) Run Disk warrior to check volume integrity and rebuild such.
6) Run “preferential treatment”, it’s free and checks for application preference issues.
7) Run Onyx , it’s free and there are a variety of cache cleaning and rebuilding capabilities.
8) Check file integrity with Tech Tool Pro. But careful with tech tool as I have noticed it can occasionally change things in the system drive resulting in a failure when checking sys drive with Apple utility disk, necessitating a repair from disk.

One doesn’t have to do all of that, but starting that list may help, especially up to step 5.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc