8.07 is out!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 8.07 is out!

Post by Tobor »

stubbsonic wrote:I installed the update, then ran permissions repair right after. There were a couple printer things, and a couple repairs that were related to audio plugins, including the MAS folder. YMMV

So just reminding about repairing permissions after DP updates and that being a good idea and all.
+1. Did the above and then booted up 8.07 and worked on a project for a good while, all seemed good.

Did have a crash with 8.06 during a live session last night, however. Trash 2 was flagged as the culprit. Four minutes into a take, so no mouse manipulations etc.

I've been having problems lately with 8.06 when recording guitars thru plugs simultaneously with EZ drummer V-Drums via USB, for example. Everything is clicking for twenty minutes to an hour, then for no apparent reason suddenly there is noticeable latency, as if DP has forgotten the delay compensation. Suddenly no one can play their instruments. Close and reboot DP and all is well....for a while. Latest OS and drivers.

I didn't see this on the 'fixes' for 8.07, but maybe I'll get lucky.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
instacue

Post by instacue »

Downloaded DP 8.07 - repaired permissions - have noticed a significantly larger performance hit using DP 8.07 on my system than when opening files that run easily in DP 8.04 (I couldn't run 8.05 & 8.06 because of a bug that made DP crash when you opened a movie while running multiple mirrored monitors, which thankfully is fixed now in DP 8.07).

Anyone else noticed that DP 8.07 has less performance headroom?

Files that play easily in DP 8.04 are totally in the red in the performance meter in DP 8.07 and won't play due to glitches, unless I close lots of tracks...
--OSX 10.6.8, Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

instacue wrote:Downloaded DP 8.07 - repaired permissions - have noticed a significantly larger performance hit using DP 8.07 on my system than when opening files that run easily in DP 8.04 (I couldn't run 8.05 & 8.06 because of a bug that made DP crash when you opened a movie while running multiple mirrored monitors, which thankfully is fixed now in DP 8.07).

Anyone else noticed that DP 8.07 has less performance headroom?

Files that play easily in DP 8.04 are totally in the red in the performance meter in DP 8.07 and won't play due to glitches, unless I close lots of tracks...
--OSX 10.6.8, Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Double check to see that when you installed it, it didn't reset your buffer size or anything like that. Long shot, but just maybe...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The update did seem to ignore some prefs I had set, so perhaps that's a sign it requires a little resetting of a few things.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The first 36 hours of DP 8.07 on my system proved productive and reliable. No crashes, no bugs, freezes, disturbances of any kind, but it worked great, shared resources with other apps, and stayed up for 36 hours straight. Pasted notes went to the track(s) intended when working in the MIDI Edit Window. It's been a non-eventful update so far, and that's what I'm always hoping for.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
instacue

Post by instacue »

"Double check to see that when you installed it, it didn't reset your buffer size or anything like that. Long shot, but just maybe..."

Thanks James, that was the first thing I tried - negative, buffer size was not changed by the installation.

I'm already running at 512 buffer, setting buffer to 1024 in DP 8.07 gives me great performance headroom but musically it's unusable because of the latency lag time.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

instacue wrote:Thanks James, that was the first thing I tried - negative, buffer size was not changed by the installation.
Here, the news are effective _

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Shooshie wrote:The first 36 hours of DP 8.07 on my system proved productive and reliable. No crashes, no bugs, freezes, disturbances of any kind, but it worked great, shared resources with other apps, and stayed up for 36 hours straight. Pasted notes went to the track(s) intended when working in the MIDI Edit Window. It's been a non-eventful update so far, and that's what I'm always hoping for.

Shoosh
Was there any improvement in the trackpad (mis)behaviors Shooshie or did you use a mouse?
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

"I've been very happy with 8.06 so far, though the Magic Trackpad issue is getting old, and I'm wondering if that's ever going to be a real option again. I'm actually considering going back to a trackball now, since my main reason for having a TrackPad seems to be fading away for good if they don't ever fix it. ("Considering" doesn't mean I'll do it. Just that I'm weighing the pros and cons. I might switch back to a trackball. More likely I won't.)"

I am soooo much more fluid and productive with the trackpad that I will not go back to trackball. (Still have Kensingtons set up in my writing room but only reach for it on the one desk where no trackpad resides.)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:...No crashes, no bugs, freezes, disturbances of any kind...
...It's been a non-eventful update so far, and that's what I'm always hoping for.

Shoosh
I'm having the same experience, Shoosh. I'm not really feeling like anything has changed. Sometimes, that's a good thing. And, if they got some of the bugs fixed, that's a great thing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
reedster

Post by reedster »

Shooshie wrote:Pasted notes went to the track(s) intended when working in the MIDI Edit Window.
Oh my, that's great news. Thanks.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just upgraded -- no problems so far, but I only had time for a quick run as I'm heading to a wedding gig shortly. No crashes, no hiccups, no errors.

The only thing I noticed was that it reauthorized a few plugs that hadn't been updated in awhile, but maybe they had been marked as invalid earlier (they're ones I haven't used in awhile, like Slate Trigger).

The Sound Toys update from a few days ago authorized because I hadn't launched DP since late Sunday night, and as usual got marked as "degraded performance".
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

All good over here. Mixed 2 songs between yesterday and today. Only issue today was force quitting DP. Crash log indicated DP hanging for 190 seconds after quitting.
Otherwise, my sessions were smooth!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

8.07 solid so far here, too. No crashes in two days.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Equally fun time being had here too! :dance: :unicorn:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!