Zoom in all the way not working

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Zoom in all the way not working

Post by swpowe »

I'm trying to use the command default command (option+command+arrow) to zoom in all the way vertically (or horizontally) and it isn't working. I can zoom in one step at a time using command + arrow but zooming in all the way doesn't work. Is this working for others? I can't get it to work in my tracks window or the sequence window. Is it not supposed to work there? The shortcut is setup correctly in the "Commands" window. Zooming is one feature I haven't not yet really figured out in DP. It slows me down a ton right now...
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Zoom in all the way not working

Post by FMiguelez »

You offer no info about your DP version or OS.

It works perfectly here.

You could change the shortcuts to something else in the Commands window. Try it and see if it works.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Working fine here on 8.06. I seem to recall having a problem with a previous version, but I can't remember which one. Might have been 8.03, but don't quote me on that.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

DP 7.24, works as advertised. OS 10.6.8.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

swpowe wrote:I'm trying to use the command default command (option+command+arrow) to zoom in all the way vertically (or horizontally) and it isn't working. I can zoom in one step at a time using command + arrow but zooming in all the way doesn't work. Is this working for others? I can't get it to work in my tracks window or the sequence window. Is it not supposed to work there? The shortcut is setup correctly in the "Commands" window. Zooming is one feature I haven't not yet really figured out in DP. It slows me down a ton right now...
What FM said. Giving more particulars about DP version and OS version would probably help. Although, I have to say, it's working fine here. Usually, when a very basic function like that isn't working, you would see a huge outcry on this board. If there isn't one, it may likely be that you have some sort of issue going on that's unique to your system. Are you using a stock Apple keyboard? Do you have any sort of keyboard short-cut utility loaded or other app that might be intercepting that shortcut?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

swpowe wrote:I'm trying to use the command default command (option+command+arrow) to zoom in all the way vertically (or horizontally) and it isn't working. I can zoom in one step at a time using command + arrow but zooming in all the way doesn't work. Is this working for others? I can't get it to work in my tracks window or the sequence window. Is it not supposed to work there? The shortcut is setup correctly in the "Commands" window. Zooming is one feature I haven't not yet really figured out in DP. It slows me down a ton right now...

Using DP 8.06 here, and what you described works perfectly here. I set my zooms to all the way out and all the way in, and they did what they were supposed to.

I also tried the OPTION-COMMAND-RIGHT-ARROWKEY, and it did zoom all the way in. But apparently the OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW does not zoom all the way out. THAT much appears to be either a bug or a misunderstanding of how it works. Instead, try using the custom zooms. To set a zoom level, first zoom to the level you want to set, then type COMMAND-SHIFT-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3), for setting three zoom levels. When you want to access those zooms, use COMMAND-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3).

Note that OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW zooms back a little past "normal," COMMAND-SHIFT-N. The command is labeled "Zoom all the way out horizontally," so it really should go all the way, and let "Normal" be the other command.

Notice one of the most useful zooms: COMMAND-OPTION-S. That zooms to the selection. Whatever you have selected will zoom to full screen. (horizontal only) To go back to wherever you were, COMMAND-[ for back, and COMMAND-] to go forward.

[edited out a mistake about what commands you can use]

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Shooshie wrote:Notice one of the most useful zooms: COMMAND-OPTION-S. That zooms to the selection. Whatever you have selected will zoom to full screen.
I've grown so addicted to that shortcut, I shudder to think what it would be like without it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tritonemusic wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Notice one of the most useful zooms: COMMAND-OPTION-S. That zooms to the selection. Whatever you have selected will zoom to full screen.
I've grown so addicted to that shortcut, I shudder to think what it would be like without it.
A similar command is to OPTION-DRAG in the timeline. The endpoints of your drag will become the zoom limits. It doesn't work if you have to scroll, so you may want to zoom out a little first. Then OPTION-DRAG to exactly the range you want to appear on the screen.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Shooshie wrote:A similar command is to OPTION-DRAG in the timeline. The endpoints of your drag will become the zoom limits. It doesn't work if you have to scroll, so you may want to zoom out a little first. Then OPTION-DRAG to exactly the range you want to appear on the screen.
I use that one even more. Great during playback, too. :unicorn:
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tritonemusic wrote:
Shooshie wrote:A similar command is to OPTION-DRAG in the timeline. The endpoints of your drag will become the zoom limits. It doesn't work if you have to scroll, so you may want to zoom out a little first. Then OPTION-DRAG to exactly the range you want to appear on the screen.
I use that one even more. Great during playback, too. :unicorn:
Ha!

I'll have to try that one.

Option-Drag. Hmmm.... 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I think you'll love it, FM.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This thread made me realize that there was no comprehensive tip on zooming in DP. I had to rectify that situation, and have posted it in the 3rd Part of the DP Tips Sheet. (Scroll a LONG WAY to the bottom of that post, or do a FIND on Zooming in DP.)

But there's nothing wrong with posting it here, too. Maybe it will be of some use. Also, if you don't see a method included, please let me know. Here's the tip:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Category: Recording, Editing, Playback, Mixing
Zooming In DP
Works in: Sequence Editor, MIDI Graphic Editor, Drum Editor, Notation Editor (the horizontal edit window, not Quickscribe)

It's about time we took a comprehensive look at zooming in DP. If I've neglected to put a zooming method in this list, please let me know.
Mini-Menu Zooms:
  • COMMAND-SHIFT-N - Image, Default (Normal) zoom.
    COMMAND-ARROWKEYS - Image, Image, Zooms range IN and OUT (respectively) in edit windows, doubling bars with each command.
    OPTION-COMMAND-RIGHT-ARROWKEY - Image, Zoom all the way in.
    OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW - Image. Zooms to a little further out than “Normal.” It is supposed to zoom ALL the way out, but as of DP 8.06, it does not. This may be a bug or misunderstood command. (Misunderstood by recent programmers.)
    OPTION-COMMAND-UP & DOWN ARROWS - Image Image, Zooms tracks vertically In and Out, respectively, where applicable.
    Custom Zooms:
    • COMMAND-SHIFT-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3) - Image, Sets first of three custom zoom levels.
      COMMAND-OPTION-1 (or 2 or 3) - Image, Invoke Custom Zoom 1 (or 2 or 3)
    Three of the most useful zooms:
    • Zoom to fit the selection:
      • COMMAND-OPTION-S - Image, Whatever you have selected will zoom to full screen. (horizontal only)
      Cycle through your past zooms:
      • COMMAND-[ - Image , Goes Backward through previous zooms.
        COMMAND-] - Image, Goes Forward through previous zooms.
Zoom Tool:
  • OPTION key will invoke the zoom tool. Click to zoom in. Within the note-section of MIDI edit window it zooms range and vertical. Within time ruler, it just zooms range.
    OPTION-SHIFT will reverse the zoom tool. Click to zoom out. Does not work in time ruler, but works in the note area of the edit window.
Great Timeline Zoom:
  • CONTROL-DRAG Up & Down Cursor - Zooms continuously with cursor at center. This is one of the most powerful zooms in DP.
Zoom buttons on windows:
  • Look for + and - in bottom right corners within the scroll bars.
Mixing Board:
  • While the Mixing Board does not directly zoom, it does have a narrow view (COMMAND-SHIFT-N, Image), and you can show or hide almost any part of the board. Save configurations to make it easy to change them quickly.
Making more room in edit windows:
  • The left-hand part of the edit windows is usually customizable. You may need to save height, width, or both. Look for edges on which the cursor changes to a hand, then drag up/down or left/right to change size. Also, many windows have a grab button for resizing a PART of the window. Look for those, as in this picture (it’s the little “dimple” in the middle of the picture):
Tempo Track Vertical Zoom:
  • Place your cursor in the vertical range ruler in the Tempo Track (Conductor Track) at the height of your fastest tempo, then click-drag to the bottom. The track will zoom to fit your tempos, giving you much more resolution for editing.
Image Image
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks again for your hard work Shooshie. FWIW, I've been trying to get all tips into a searchable document on my iPad. I've tried various reader (Instapaper) and PDF schemes, but I always end up with duplicate or missing pages. Perhaps I need to try Pocket next. If anyone has any tips or success with this, much would be appreciated.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:Thanks again for your hard work Shooshie. FWIW, I've been trying to get all tips into a searchable document on my iPad. I've tried various reader (Instapaper) and PDF schemes, but I always end up with duplicate or missing pages. Perhaps I need to try Pocket next. If anyone has any tips or success with this, much would be appreciated.
Someday I need to bring these together by category. I put the categories in there for the purpose of some future reincarnation of the tips sheet, when we finally have better ways to access it. Still, it would be possible (but a good bit of work) to bring them together even now, just using the basic categories to organize them.

The problem is that some belong to many categories, and I don't want to duplicate the tips. It would be best with a database, so you click on a category and it brings up every tip that has that category in it. More than I want to undertake for a web page right now, though I might pay my son to do it. (I can't really afford him, but he might do it out of pity. :lol: ) Then there's hosting and all that. Right now, all the graphics in that thread come out of my Dropbox.

But I'm just rambling out loud again. Always open to ideas, though.

Shooshie

PS: You can search the tips pretty easily with COMMAND-F. Just type in a general category like "Mixing" or "Editing" or Setup, Recording, and there are others. Or, you can type in a keyword like Tracks Overview Window, or Soundbites, and though you might get 20 or 30 hits, you can cycle through them quickly with COMMAND-G until you find one that seems fruitful.
Here are the categories, so far:
  • General Usage
    Computers 101
    MIXING
    Playback
    Setup
    Editing
    Recording
    NAVIGATION
    MIDI Editing
    Video
    Export
    General
    Movie Soundtrack
    Shortcuts
    Tools
    Keyboard Commands
    Audio Editing
    Pitch
    Conversions
    General Operation
    Operation
    Authorization of DP
    Bounce to Disk
    Virtual Instruments
    Effects
    Creating and Editing MIDI and Audio
    Editing Audio Automation
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:I also tried the OPTION-COMMAND-RIGHT-ARROWKEY, and it did zoom all the way in. But apparently the OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW does not zoom all the way out. THAT much appears to be either a bug or a misunderstanding of how it works.
OPTION-COMMAND-LEFT ARROW zooms to fit (horizontally) the entire sequence in the width of the window. To zoom all the way out hold the OPTION key while clicking on the horizontal minus sign. That's what I'm seeing here anyway.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.