latency question for higher sample rates in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

latency question for higher sample rates in DP

Post by labman »

What effect does on latency does running a session at 96k have, compared to 44.1? Meaning, is your perceived latency from a keyboard controller using a VI increased? Obviously, the CPU hit is much more, but I am wondering about latency.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: latency question for higher sample rates in DP

Post by bayswater »

Latency is usually measured in samples, so the faster the sample rate, the lower the latency. As mentioned in this thread http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=45959 reduced latency is one of the advantages of going to 96K sessions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8