Why are autosave files so much smaller?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why are autosave files so much smaller?

Post by buzzsmith »

FMiguelez wrote:I just checked some DP files, and the regular file equals the corresponding autosaved file in size.

For instance, my empty template (no audio) currently is 24 MBs, just like the autosaved versions. If I dump the undo history, the file size still matches both version (regular and autosaved).
Wow, FM, that empty template (to me) seems quite large!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why are autosave files so much smaller?

Post by FMiguelez »

buzzsmith wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I just checked some DP files, and the regular file equals the corresponding autosaved file in size.

For instance, my empty template (no audio) currently is 24 MBs, just like the autosaved versions. If I dump the undo history, the file size still matches both version (regular and autosaved).
Wow, FM, that empty template (to me) seems quite large!
Yes. It's quite large :)

The regular chunks, where I have tons of tracks, don't take up much space. The main culprits are the V-Rack chunks, where I have all my VSL stuff (with lots of parameter automation), all my MachFive and Stylus VIs, etc. Since I have all those on salve computers, all the data from VE Pro gets saved in the V-Racks.
My Template used to be larger, but I consolidated a lot of the V-Rack chunks, so now it's at its present size (those can easily take around 3-4 MBs each with all the CC automation assignments!).

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman