Diamond Drive is cool

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Diamond Drive is cool

Post by philbrown »

Excellent unsung plug for getting just that little edgy grit on tracks without sounding like a Big Muff or some over the top Nine Inch Nails distortion. I've used it on all kinds of tracks in the past at times but after trying about 8 different things (including UA's Fatso and Nomad's Magnetic 1 and 2) on a slightly anemic vocal track just now, Diamond Drive was the deal. Easily controlled too- not just one tiny sweet spot of settings.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Dan Worley

Re: Diamond Drive is cool

Post by Dan Worley »

There are many newer MOTU plug-ins that I haven't even tried yet. I need to take the time to go through them.

Not to knock this OT, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest you give Kush Audio's Pusher a try. It's incredible. So versatile, so surprising, so strange, so right. One of my all-time favorite plug-ins. I've found it to be superb on vocals, just adding enough to levitate them with an edge. Start with Neve Mid Pockets and tweak from there, or start flat and explore.

http://www.thehouseofkush.com/#!ubk-pusher/cqir
DP10.13
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Dan Worley wrote:There are many newer MOTU plug-ins that I haven't even tried yet. I need to take the time to go through them.

Not to knock this OT, but if you haven't already, I'd suggest you give Kush Audio's Pusher a try. It's incredible. So versatile, so surprising, so strange, so right. One of my all-time favorite plug-ins. I've found it to be superb on vocals, just adding enough to levitate them with an edge. Start with Neve Mid Pockets and tweak from there, or start flat and explore.

I remember seeing that and thinking it looked really cool, but had just come off a major buying spree at the time. Thanks for the re-temptation, Dan! :D
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

philbrown wrote:
I remember seeing that and thinking it looked really cool, but had just come off a major buying spree at the time. Thanks for the re-temptation, Dan! :D
:lol:

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean.
DP10.13
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Dan Worley wrote:There are many newer MOTU plug-ins that I haven't even tried yet. I need to take the time to go through them.

Darn you, Dan!

I was FORCED to check out the plug because of your recommendation, then got curious to see how much it would be when I put it in my cart at Audiodeluxe. Because of an automatic coupon discount saw it was 'only' $89 so was FORCED to pull the trigger.

Thank you, Dan!

Just thought the 40% discount might be enticing to some as the normal price is 149. Will install today and look forward to seeing (and hearing) what this little puppy does.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Tobor wrote:
Darn you, Dan!

I was FORCED to check out the plug because of your recommendation, then got curious to see how much it would be when I put it in my cart at Audiodeluxe. Because of an automatic coupon discount saw it was 'only' $89 so was FORCED to pull the trigger.

Thank you, Dan!

Just thought the 40% discount might be enticing to some as the normal price is 149. Will install today and look forward to seeing (and hearing) what this little puppy does.
I thought $149 was pretty high. Does the discount apply to everyone or are you just special Tobor? :)
If so they should advertise that, as the price was (kind of) a dealbreaker for me, or at least put me off from downloading the demo ATM.

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've had many good experiences with Diamond Drive. Mainly with guitars tracks, but with keyboards too.
Surprisingly smooth tweaking to get exactly where I intended to.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

philbrown wrote:
Tobor wrote:
Darn you, Dan!

Thank you, Dan!

I thought $149 was pretty high. Does the discount apply to everyone or are you just special Tobor? :)
If so they should advertise that, as the price was (kind of) a dealbreaker for me, or at least put me off from downloading the demo ATM.
Nothing special other than being a registered customer on the site. Sometimes they have coupons or specials that only show up when you put something in your cart. This was "Hot Summer" or something, but the price was right so I jumped. And you're right, wouldn't even have considered it for 149, times being what they are....

I've saved a lot of money (or is that 'spent a lot of money'?) because of Audiodeluxe's discounts but appreciate their sales and service.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Tobor wrote:
I've saved a lot of money (or is that 'spent a lot of money'?) because of Audiodeluxe's discounts but appreciate their sales and service.
:D Quote of the day.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:
Tobor wrote:
:D Quote of the day.
It was a stroke of genius to associate sales with savings. I don't know who was the first person to do that, but when I was a little kid, I would hear that on TV and think "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." When I was grown up, I'd get as excited about it as anyone. I guess we get conditioned to it, and by the time we have money it all seems perfectly natural, till we look at our bank accounts.

LOOK! I SAVED $342.79 TODAY!!!
    • DOH!
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

LOL, yes, perhaps I should have checked out Diamond Drive in depth rather than investigate Dan's tip, but Dan's usually right on and I'm sure Pusher will prove useful.

Don't think I've bought a plugin all summer....outside of the Sampletank 3 pre order....and the stage mics....and the keyboards.....
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote: LOOK! I SAVED $342.79 TODAY!!!
I just got 4 emails. One was the notification this thread was bumped, one was 40% off at Universal Audio and one was 18% off at a music retailer.
I guess MOTUnation saved me the most money by not asking me to buy anything.

...actually that UA bundle sale does look pretty good...

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:
I just got 4 emails. One was the notification this thread was bumped, one was 40% off at Universal Audio and one was 18% off at a music retailer.

Hahaha! I don't have a UA card, but if I can save money, lemme at it!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:
philbrown wrote:

Hahaha! I don't have a UA card, but if I can save money, lemme at it!
And Costco has a 48 pack of canned green beans you need, too. Just trying to save you some money, Shooshie. :dance:

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've long thought MOTU's pedals for DP were the best effects they've done. I use the Analog Chorus all the time, it's the best Boss Chorus emulation I've ever heard. The Diamond Drive
and the "Rat" and "Screamer" pedals also shine. Big thanks is in order to Magic Dave who I know had a big hand in developing the pedal effects.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com