Templates and Settings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Templates and Settings

Post by swpowe »

Is it possible to move the "templates" folder or to use an alias? I've tried an alias and symbolic link but can't move the folder that way. Wondered if anyone else has been able to figure this out. I'd like to move the folder out of my "preferences" folder. Any ideas?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Templates and Settings

Post by FMiguelez »

Why would you want to move it?
If you do so, DP won't be able to see it.

I suggest you create a new DP project. Make it have all you need and look the way you want. Then call this one your DP template, and you'll be able to put it where ever you want.

Every time you start a new project, duplicate the previous DP template and open it normally. Then simply create some great music. Voilà...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

FM is correct that in order for DP to see it, it must remain where it is, but that doesn't stop you from making an alias and putting the alias wherever you like. Modify the alias at will. Just don't move the original.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by swpowe »

I was trying to make working on two different systems at different locations easier. I was hoping to sync up the "templates" folder so both computers were using the same templates. The suggested work around will work (thanks!) but it would be nice to use the templates that load up with DP every time rather than sharing projects and opening the project. It'l work though. Thanks!