NI Komplete 10 pre-announcement information leaked

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dave pine
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NI Komplete 10 looks to be a HUGE disappointment

Post by dave pine »

glad i pulled the trigger on komplete ultimate 9 when i did then
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dave pine wrote:glad i pulled the trigger on komplete ultimate 9 when i did then
Me too! I haven't even installed K9 yet, and now they have K10!

I sure hope Kontakt is not entering its "waining" years.. It's been in the lead for so long, most of my libraries are built on it.

I've been meaning to spend some time bringing K5 stuff into Mach V, to see how it gets on, so I'll have a backup plan in the event..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

NI shows no signs of waning.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:I've been meaning to spend some time bringing K5 stuff into Mach V, to see how it gets on, so I'll have a backup plan in the event..
I haven't been able to get anything meant for K5 into Mach Five. Only some K4 patches. I'll be interested to hear if you manage to get it to work consistently.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

NI will be around a while in some form. right now they seem to be focused a lot on Maschine and everything surrounding it, more than anything else. But they are fairly big company at this point, so guess they will be around a while, though it does seem like innovation is not at the top of their list as much as acquisition and marketing.

I have had Mach V envy for years. At this point I'm overly invested in Kontakt libraries myself and I can't justify the extra purchase. If M5 could load K5 libraries 100% I would consider it, but the best Kontakt libraries use a lot of scripting that doesn't carry over, even if the basic samples, keymaps, etc can be converted over. Even if chickensys or something could provide more elaborate conversion of FX, EQ, etc along with it, the scripting doesn't come across right and I guess it probably never will.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

MachFive is the one on the big growth curve right now, and for good reason: it's a WAY better engine all around than Kontakt.

Having said that, they have somewhat different focus. For instance, Kontakt has some inherent weaknesses that aren't likely to go away and thus will push quite a few vendors to jump ship, as have been doing lately (e.g. Gospel Musicians). I can't imagine why they came out with the minimoog emu when the most important aspect of the mini is literally impossible to achieve in Kontakt due to its "start at zero" limitation.

So, MachFive is WAY friendlier to those doing sound design of a traditional workstation variety (such as what would find in a Yamaha MOTIF -- especially synth type patches). Maybe not as useful for drums or orchestral libraries as Kontakt, but that may just be a reflection of which vendors have chosen Kontakt and have a lot of product out already. For instance, I am WAY more impressed by recent libraries from Acoustic Samples in terms of playability,a s well as True Pianos and Ravenscroft, than anything in Kontakt, no matter how heavily scripted.

As for the abandoned products, I think it was the vocoder and the spectral delay that they lost the license rights to; whereas my recollection is that the modeled Prophet and B3 were dumped because it would have been too much work to port them to Objective-C or maybe to 64-bits.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

mhschmieder wrote:MachFive is the one on the big growth curve right now, and for good reason: it's a WAY better engine all around than Kontakt.
I hope you are right and proven so in the long run, but for me, M5 is currently a bust.

See here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=58130

While some are having success with M5, many of us are not.

Apart from some recent installation problems, I have always found Kontakt to be better in a lot of ways - and with a wider range of sample libraries to choose from as well. It might be different for those who want to get under the hood and design sample-based sounds from scratch, but that ain't me - any sound design I do, I do with one of my VI's. I want my sampler to be good at playing/manipulating samples and sample libraries. Until M5 becomes more stable, it won't be my go-to sample instrument.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

mhschmieder wrote:I saw a LOT of details (and pictures, including descriptions) of Komplete 10 on GS today, and it's a HUGE disappointment.
What is 'GS"?

Babz
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Babz wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:I saw a LOT of details (and pictures, including descriptions) of Komplete 10 on GS today, and it's a HUGE disappointment.
What is 'GS"?

Babz
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

Proceed with caution!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz

Post by Babz »

This just showed up. Looks like hardware. Maybe they are merging Komplete with Maschine or something like that?

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/sp ... ntent=2769

Babz
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I'm still on Komplete 7. Haven't seen a version of Komplete since then that interested me.

FWIW, I don't think there has been anything lacking in Absynth5, FM8, or Reaktor5. Those products have all been stellar for some time, there wasn't anything to "improve" as far as I
am concerned. Think about Omnisphere - that's stayed the same for a number of years.
What's not to love about it?

Kontakt became the de facto standard for software samplers years ago. Most developers programmed their libraries for it. That base has been established and will continue to exist.
UVI workstation has gained some traction but Kontakt's third-party developer base is still
way larger than UVI's. Whether one platform is better than the other isn't the issue. Personally I can find fault with both platforms. Bottom line is, if you use third-party sample libraries, Kontakt is still a must-have, not an option.

B4II and Pro-53 went away because of disputes with the original (non-NI) developers of those products.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Babz wrote:This just showed up. Looks like hardware. Maybe they are merging Komplete with Maschine or something like that?

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/sp ... ntent=2769

Babz
Komplete+Maschine+Traktor+keyboard it looks like.

FrankenPush

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Babz

Post by Babz »

Yes, judging by the leaked photos I found by googling, it looks like 25, 49, and 61-note keyboard controllers. Plus new software instruments, of course. My worry is that NI doesn't have a great track record with continuing to support hardware -- Maschine being one notable, and recent, exception.

Anyway, probably not a good idea to second-guess before it's even released! We should have all the details in a couple of days...

Babz
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Over at vi-control, it was suggested the "included instruments" list may only pertain to the non-Ultimate version, which I could care less about, so I may find an upgrade worthwhile after all since there are a half dozen "must-have" products that weren't on the "regular" upgrade list.

Apparently the new pianos are produced by Galaxy, who (I did not know this, but also don't own it yet) also produced The Giant. One person thinks one of the new pianos is a Mason & Hamlin, which would make my day as that's what I grew up on (mostly, along with Steinways) and remains my favourite piano.

There's also a suggestion that one of the brand-new (not released yet) synths may be a Reaktor-based FM product with Additive Synthesis thrown in.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Re: NI Komplete 10 pre-announcement information leaked

Post by mhschmieder »

I just received an NI email with a video promotional for Komplete 10 a few minutes ago. I can't watch/listen to it at work, of course, but maybe tonight.