NI Komplete 10 pre-announcement information leaked

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NI Komplete 10 pre-announcement information leaked

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:Just got an email about the keyboards and didn't notice at first the tiny little announcement of K10 for 1 October. Am too busy working to post all the links right now, or even read what's on them, so here is the link for Ultimate, which I consider more important than regular Komplete:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... newsletter

Like I said, I haven't even scrolled past the huge header at that page yet so haven't a clue what's in it. Just posting for others, as not everyone gets the emails. The regular K10 should be easy enough to find from their site at this point.
Basically if you are like me and have K9, K10 only adds a handful of things unless you want to add the new keyboards.

If you want to add the new keyboards, DP is left out as one of the integrated platforms. :mumble:

So bottom line, for many of us here suspect there's little reason to upgrade.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Well, I had been on the look-out for a deal on upgrading my Session Horns (which I like but haven't used as much as I should) to Session Horns Pro.

Upgrading just Session Horns Pro is $279(AUD), while going from K9-K10 is $249(AUD).

So, saving $30, plus getting some of the other new stuff (none of which really grabs me) might just be worth it for me. I am a bit scared though - my last experience with upgrading through NI's Service Center was a nightmare, kinda gun shy now.

Dunno yet.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, I finally had a chance to review the list, and I'm totally in on this one. So glad I skipped K9! Nothing in that one that interested me, but there are a half dozen additions that are must-haves in K10 and completely unique (e.g. Cuba, for one).

I love the Abbey Road drums and am using them more and more. Glad to have more of them. Session Strings Pro has been a life-saver for me on projects it's appropriate for, so I imagine Session Horns Pro may also have its uses and work well where higher-end libraries don't (or at least require less effort for situations where a somewhat generic sound and repetitive is needed).

The other stuff I could mostly do without, but I'm curious about the Action Strike and related libraries. I hate Reaktor as it's such a PITA to use and so confusing and inconsistent from one launch to the next. It took me longer than any other NI product to tame and get off my system drive. Yet it looks like maybe there's a CZ1 emu in there this time, to complement FM8.

I hope they allow K8 to K10 Ultimate upgrades. $400 is OK for me given that almost everything in K10 is new to me and I've held up a few projects waiting for some of that material.

I can't figure out what the pianos are. Maverick is a special one built in 1905 for Prince of Prussia, but a Google search found nothing more elucidating. I think someone else's guess of Mason * Hamlin was probably wrong. I haven't listened to any samples yet as I'm still busy working (yeah, the usual crazy hours) and as NI demos tend to annoy me and be too loud, but with galaxy's involvement anything is possible regarding the other grand piano addition.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

DP may not be out of the DAW integration picture?
KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series keyboards - DAW Control
DAW control on the KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series keyboards is based around the simple HUI protocol, so don’t expect to be able to mix an album from this keyboard, it offers simple transport controls when used with DAW like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase etc.
I kave K8U and if the sticker is $399, I'm sitting this one out. I tend to pick up things like Molekular during the year, so there aren't many bits that I want. Two of the new synths look interesting but combined that's $198 to me, so the leap to $399 is too much.

Now if the upgrade were $249, the math changes....

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

nk_e wrote:Now if the upgrade were $249, the math changes....
Isn't that the approximate cost?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Not for me. K8 Ultimate to K10 Ultimate upgrade is $399. If someone knows something different, please clue me in!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

billf

Post by billf »

nk_e wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:
Not for me. K8 Ultimate to K10 Ultimate upgrade is $399. If someone knows something different, please clue me in!
I think you're correct. I'm on K9 though, so my upgrade prices might differ. Right now though, I just don't see anything that makes me want to jump on either K10 or K10u.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Looks like the K9U upgrade price is $399 as well. After checking some of the new additions, must admit there's probably 8 things I'd like to have that would be worth $50 each. In spite of some people knocking The Giant earlier, I really like it. It's got personality and I enjoy playing it and enjoy how it sounds. I notice that the three new pianos were all sampled and programmed by the same guy, and I thought the demos sounded very realistic and also had 'personality'. Although I just recently started using Pianoteq 5 a lot and loving it, I'd really like to play these new pianos.

I also thought Kontour sounded interesting... despite the grousing about no Reaktor update I agree with one poster who was appreciative of the fact that it's finally come into it's own as a host for some pretty impressive synths. I hadn't really ever used it much in previous versions, found the interface clunky and cold. But when I upgraded to K9U and experimented with Razor all that changed. Razor is amazing, and it looks like the new Reaktor offerings are in the same mold.

I may wait for the eventual sale anyway..... as excited as I got looking at the new K10U add-ons, it reminded me of the feeling when I sprung for K9U. Have I used a fraction of K9 since? No. So I first plan on rediscovering K9 and go from there. The package has great value, though. I only used Session Horns on one project, but it sounded great and fit the vibe perfectly. I do use The Giant quite a bit and Razor continues to inspire and amaze. Damage and Evolve also contributed some atmosphere to a few projects without a lot of fumbling around. And I just found a preset on Alicia's Keys that made me want to play it, I'd passed over it unfairly the first time around. Much of the Scarbee material is superb. I could go on but I guess I already have.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

See my separate post, which gives a breakdown of all the details of the upgrade.

Babz
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Yer right on the cost, I got K10 and K10 ultimate mixed up.

Yeah, too pricey an update for me.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku