New Sysex Librarian & MIDI Monitor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
adriano
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Sysex Librarian & MIDI Monitor

Post by adriano »

Hello forum,
Both apps have been updated to 1.3.1.
Download them at www.snoize.com

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Shooshie

Re: New Sysex Librarian & MIDI Monitor

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks!

I've been using MIDI Monitor for years, but I didn't know about SysEx Librarian. That's a great idea! I downloaded it, but I don't really use SysEx these days. You never know what's coming tomorrow, though, so I'll be ready for it if I go back to doing MIDI Show Control or synth dumps, and so forth.

It would nice if he included a few SysEx examples in the library. I go for years without using it, and when I need it, it takes me 15 minutes to look up my old examples or find my old books to get the formats. That's not an issue if you're accepting a dump from a device, but in the case of lighting instruments it's not always possible or practical. You sometimes have to write the code from scratch, then you can re-use the format over and over, changing only the relevant data.

So, it would be helpful if he would include an example of each of the MIDI Show Control formats, or even one of them. Even so, it's a nice app to have.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
groove

Post by groove »

Thanks Adriano!

I rely on Sysex for my SlimPhatty libraries, such a good little app! Nice little changes in the GUI too.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I just discovered Sysex Librarian a few days ago... a sysex dump is how one updates the firmware in Line 6 gear.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'd know about this for years. Thought I even posted about it as a hedge against Unisyn's demise if you don't need editing features. I'm using it for preset backups of devices in my guitar rack, although some of my devices are finicky and have to have the data sent back to them with delays between messages longer than Sysex Librarian allows for in its settings.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Years ago, I was able to use it to get all my sounds off my Korg T3/M1's onto the software (Digital Legacy). I had programmed those sounds over decades, and Sysex Librarian made it possible for me to carry them into the modern age. Very cool! :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Killahurts wrote:Years ago, I was able to use it to get all my sounds off my Korg T3/M1's onto the software (Digital Legacy). I had programmed those sounds over decades, and Sysex Librarian made it possible for me to carry them into the modern age. Very cool! :mrgreen:
This is exactly what I've used it for: Korg hardware synths to Legacy software synths I had so many cards both commercial and custom banks for M1, Wavestation. Relatively easy to do. There are still some commercial banks out there in Sysex format if you're missing some of those beauties!

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

frankf wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Years ago, I was able to use it to get all my sounds off my Korg T3/M1's onto the software (Digital Legacy). I had programmed those sounds over decades, and Sysex Librarian made it possible for me to carry them into the modern age. Very cool! :mrgreen:
This is exactly what I've used it for: Korg hardware synths to Legacy software synths I had so many cards both commercial and custom banks for M1, Wavestation. Relatively easy to do. There are still some commercial banks out there in Sysex format if you're missing some of those beauties!

Frank Ferrucci
Indeed.. and a great many awesome cards come with the KLC software itself!

Something I noticed Frank, maybe you did too.. the Korg Legacy stuff sounds exactly like the analog output of the synth itself. i.e. the M1 doesn't sound like the patches being played through my computer (like samplers), but like the real M1 sounds? How did they do that?

Anyway, Sysex Librarian is a very good tool to have, everyone who works with MIDI should have it.. DP has some system exclusive options, but they are less than elegant.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:DP has some system exclusive options, but they are less than elegant.

I used to work in DP's SysEx editor every day. Elegant it's not, but very functional, and it always works. Most people probably don't know it exists. Like Custom Consoles, MIDI plugins, Metric Grid Search, and other esoteric tools that serve a niche, they don't advertise themselves. When you need them, look for them, and find them, it's a thrill to see that they are there.

The thing about Snoize's SysEx is that I expected more in the line of editing tools. I have no sysex to work in right now, so maybe you don't see those tools until you have a sysex file to work in. But when you need to originate a sysex command, it's very inconvenient to have to find one and copy it, then edit it to make it original.

Is there an editor in there that I just missed? Without sysex to try it out, I really can't tell.

Maybe this is just an application for storing sysex dumps.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Maybe this is just an application for storing sysex dumps.
Bingo. I don't think it really aspires to be anything else. At leas that's all I ever used it for.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Maybe this is just an application for storing sysex dumps.
Bingo. I don't think it really aspires to be anything else. At least that's all I ever used it for.

frankf

Post by frankf »

I don't know how they did it, but they were ahead of the curve on modeling their hardware synths to software. I must say this: the outputs on the M1, Wavestation were very noisy! And the software versions are obviously quiet. I jumped for joy 'bout that.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:I don't know how they did it, but they were ahead of the curve on modeling their hardware synths to software.
I recall reading when these first came out, they're not modelled -- they just used the same code for the software version they burned into the hardware. So, same sound, no noise.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

I misused the word modeled. Interesting, seems it wasn't that much work. Always wondered why Roland didn't do the same for JV series. I believe I used Sysex to dump some JV-1080 patches also. Sysex is a life saver when you need it.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've used that Sysex Librarian to do OS updates on a couple boss/roland units that provide smf's for os installation. Works well. So far, that's the only way I've used it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com