Reversing?Horizontally flipping Automation Data?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sensorium
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Reversing?Horizontally flipping Automation Data?

Post by sensorium »

I have created automation snapshot to morph settings on a soft synth over the course of 8 measures. This basically works as a macro to morph the settings of a patch. The problem is, I want it to morph back to it's original state by simply repeating the automation data and flipping/reversing it. It doesn't seem there is any way to reverse automation data. I tried: Region > reverse time, but this just cleared the data. Am I missing something or does this feature simply not exist?

Thanks!
sensorium

Re: Reversing?Horizontally flipping Automation Data?

Post by sensorium »

Nobody knows the answer to this?
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by philbrown »

My best bet would be to use the Console to invert your automation and record it back in. I haven't fully thought it through, just shooting from the hip to get some ideas going. I would have thought the Reverse Time would have worked for this. Have you tried invoking that from the Event List? I'm definitely groping here for ideas here...
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You might try starting with a view filter that excludes all but the data you want to reverse. Then try instead the retrograde command.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
sensorium

Post by sensorium »

I tried that to no avail. Both reverse time and retrograde just flatten out the automation data.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Poop!! That seems like a very cool effect!!

I was thinking some kind of invert process could work with the Change Controller (with effect automation ticked). But I couldn't really suss out a way to do it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
sensorium

Post by sensorium »

I think the problem is that snapshot automation seems to background record the controller movements themselves, as opposed to the state of the parameters. If it was just the state of the parameters, you would be able to change patches completely, take a 2nd snapshot, and literally morph between 2 patches. And unfortunately, this does not work either. Too bad!

Its still just data though. Something that should certainly be reversible....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Automation data is track related. It's not a part of the "data" data. That is, it's not notes and controllers. It can be edited in its own layer in the Sequence Editor, but you can't even access it in the MIDI Graphic Editor.

One thing you might try is pasting the automation data into an Aux Track. It may be possible to get at it in an audio track, but the goal is to get it isolated in any track in the Tracks Overview Window. Then, select it in the TOW, and see if the retrograde and inversion Region Menu edits will affect it. If not, then... no... it won't work. But if there is any window in which automation data might be editable on that level, it would be the Tracks Overview Window.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just tried it in the Tracks Overview Window.
Reverse Time and Retrograde both work just fine. So does Scale Time.

I haven't found a way to invert it, however. All I can think of for inversion is Invert Pitch, and that requires a "pitch" center to invert around. There is no pitch in automation, so it doesn't work there. I tried negative percentages, and that didn't work, either, though it does create interesting effects. Just not a true inversion.

But Reverse Time, Scale Time and Retrograde work great, and that's 3 out of 4. I'd say that's progress. There may yet be a way to do vertical inversion, but I'm not going to experiment anymore tonight.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Just tried it in the Tracks Overview Window.
If I understand what you did, it was isolating the data that made the difference. Wonder why just selecting it would not have the same effect? Anyway, this merits inclusion in the Tips book.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Just tried it in the Tracks Overview Window.
If I understand what you did, it was isolating the data that made the difference. Wonder why just selecting it would not have the same effect? Anyway, this merits inclusion in the Tips book.

Ah, you're right. I'll have the editor get that in there, and I'll withhold his pay until he does!

Shoosh
sensorium

Post by sensorium »

Thanks for your efforts! Can you explain the difference between reverse time, retrograde, and a true inversion?

Thanks again. You have all been a great help.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

sensorium wrote:Thanks for your efforts! Can you explain the difference between reverse time, retrograde, and a true inversion?

Thanks again. You have all been a great help.
Reverse Time and Retrograde are both similar to "flip-horizontal" in Photoshop.
  • • Retrograde is literally "flip-horizontal," or like playing a tape in reverse.
    • Reverse Time is a horizontal inversion of the attacks of the notes, but each note retains its original duration. A reversed phrase will tend to have note overlaps and empty gaps that aren't in the original.
Inversion is similar to "flip-vertical." You choose a note to act as the pivot point, and all notes are flipped according to their interval from that note.

Shooshie