Sync points and SFX

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Sync points and SFX

Post by swpowe »

I'm trying to figure out a good flow for SFX work in DP. I've got a short film that requires some SFX and I've gone through and created markers for some of the big events. Now I'm wondering if I can use sync points to automatically align sounds with markers or if there's a better way to do this kind of thing. Any suggestions?
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sync points and SFX

Post by James Steele »

I'm going to try and bump this and get this going. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sync points and SFX

Post by Phil O »

I haven't tried aligning a sync point to a marker so I don't know how you would do that off the top of my head, but there are a whole bunch of MOVE commands in the commands window. Things like Move Selection Start to Next Marker might be the way to go. Once you get the soundbite at the desired marker, zoom in on the SB and nudge as necessary. I can't think of a faster way to align a soundbite to a marker, but there might be a combination of commands that will get you there quickly (as is often the case in DP). The Commands window is your friend. I've always wanted Move Selection to Counter, but maybe that's just me.

Another approach would be to have both the Marker and Sound File Info window open. Click on the appropriate marker to move the cursor to that marker and copy the counter value. Then paste it in the Start value of the File Info. Or somethin' like that. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.