DP shines w/MachFive for live file playback!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP shines w/MachFive for live file playback!

Post by magicd »

bayswater wrote:Antfarm1, I just noticed I never updated my main setup to 8.06. Still on 8.05 and M5 is stable.

Dave, what version of DP is on your near obsolete Mac?

Dave
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

magicd wrote:I run MachFive 3 on a what is fast becoming an obsolete computer. I use it for live gigging as well as studio work. Rock solid for me.

3.06 GHz intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM. OS 10.6.8. The computer does have an SSD and that makes a huge difference. I recommend SSDs for anybody that wants top performance. You'll get fastest sample load times and best possible playback efficiency.

Dave
Well, it is essentially unusable for me on my new MP with the latest OS.
I shouldn't have to depreciate my system just for M5.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

After a cursory glance at everybody's specs who replied, it at least appears that staying on Mountain Lion or earlier is a positive for the stability of M5v3.

If I recall correctly, Mike Halloran reported good results by reinstalling DP/M5 after updating to Mavericks. Anyone else who's running any version of Mavericks have anything good to say about M5v3?

BK, are the DP & M5 running on your new Vader Hat fresh installs or the result of Migration Assistant?
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

jloeb wrote:BK, are the DP & M5 running on your new Vader Hat fresh installs or the result of Migration Assistant?
I installed everything from scratch (and after installing, updated M5).
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There's a curious phenomenon in OSX 10.9.x (beta) which may have been happening in Mavericks as well. Everything has to quit the first time you open it. Quit as in crash, send report to Apple, then reopen. After that it works fine. But every time I Safe-Boot to clean out old caches and such, it starts the cycle again. Everything has to quit once, and reboot.

Could this have anything to do with the perceived bad performance of Mach Five? I haven't been using it lately so I don't know what it's doing, but at first i was very worried after updating my OS to this beta. It seemed that everything crashed. And it did. Once, and once thereafter each cleaning of the system.

Disregard this if it has no relevance. I just thought I'd throw out this bit of info in case it rang any bells.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|