DP shines w/MachFive for live file playback!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP shines w/MachFive for live file playback!

Post by artfarm1 »

Just more unabashed praise for rock-solid DP8 here....

I just finished a 3 week run (two shows a day) in which I was triggering and mixing audio files I had pre-composed in DP8.

My 40 music files were loaded into MachFive 3, laid out across the keyboard, and were triggered 'note-on/note-off' using a 'Launchpad'.

I ran the output of MachFive into DP's mixer, with 8 tracks under MIDI fader control.

The beauty of MachFive is that my various audio tracks (even when loaded into only 1 of MachFive's instruments' keyboard layout as different 'samples') is that I could still assign every 'sample/audio file' to a different output of MachFive....going into various tracks in DP's mixer.

And, then being able to use an efx plug-in on the MasterTrack fader to polish of the mix before being sent out to the arena sound system.

Because I was only playing back audio files, I could use a MacMini with an Ultralite interface. It all worked fine on OSX 10.6.8. And this was all in a very dusty environment with horses circling around in front of me!

Three weeks, not one complaint or hiccup. All ran beautifully! Solid.

Thank you MOTU for making all things musical possible!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
BKK-OZ

Re: DP shines w/MachFive for live file playback!

Post by BKK-OZ »

I'm glad M5 has been working well for you.

It is still causing processor spikes for me in DP 8.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

BKK-OZ wrote:I'm glad M5 has been working well for you.

It is still causing processor spikes for me in DP 8.
I had to stop using it. It was crashing DP 8.06. I am using Kontakt now and it is flawless so far. I really like MachFive but it is always a problem in my projects. Don't know why.....
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm glad it's working great for you, artfarm1 8)

It's been terribly crash-prone here.

I actually had to stop using with in the slave computers, as just touching one of the tabs instantly crashed it every time. If I use it directly within DP, it's better, but quite unreliable. I never know when it will crash and bring DP down in the process :shake:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=57539
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Ah goddamnit, now the pendulum swings back when I was just considering upgrading to MV3 again.

Others have said it's working fine now…. so what gives? Wish everybody using it would post their specs so we might be able to get a sense of which conditions it behaves under and which it doesn't…

Sigh. I guess it's a Kontakt world, ultimately. I'm starting to think MOTU may be better off just pointing at the free UVI Workstation, which seems to be solid though not full-featured, and leaving it at that. If it's really this bad/inconsistent, then UVI either needs to make updates and backwards compatibility a priority or just get out of the collaboration, IMO.

MOTU shouldn't (and, I would think, doesn't need to) stick around for this kind of treatment; it's a flagship product. I'm sure NI would be very happy to see a basic bread & butter Kontakt package bundled with DP...
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Great stuff Cam.
I live in Erin close to where you we're working I would have never thought DP and M5 were behind the audio at these events.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

jloeb wrote:Others have said it's working fine now…. so what gives? Wish everybody using it would post their specs so we might be able to get a sense of which conditions it behaves under and which it doesn't…
New 6-core MP, 10.9.4, 8.06, latest M5 update, 32Gb RAM, running in 64bits, every other VI (Komplete, Linplug, U-he, Rob Papen, Fabfilter) all happy as clams...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

MachFive 3 regularly crashes DP 8.06 for me. Very frustrating!

Doug
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

jloeb wrote:Wish everybody using it would post their specs so we might be able to get a sense of which conditions it behaves under and which it doesn't…
The current version of MachFive is rock solid for me under Mountain Lion. Specs are in the signature.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

wylie1 wrote:Great stuff Cam.
I live in Erin close to where you we're working I would have never thought DP and M5 were behind the audio at these events.
Thanks! 'Mark of the Unicorn' making music for the Unicorn in our show!

I wish MOTU had a Unicorn t-shirt!

Actually, I have very few problems with MachFive 3 on my studio MacPro which is running OSX 10.8.5.

But...it will crash OSX 10.8.5 once in awhile.....but very rarely.

But..FWIW... Kontakt causes way more problems for me than MachFive 3 ever does.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

M5-3 works very well for me,I do have the samples on a SSHD.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
magicd

Post by magicd »

I run MachFive 3 on a what is fast becoming an obsolete computer. I use it for live gigging as well as studio work. Rock solid for me.

3.06 GHz intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM. OS 10.6.8. The computer does have an SSD and that makes a huge difference. I recommend SSDs for anybody that wants top performance. You'll get fastest sample load times and best possible playback efficiency.

Dave
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Yes, SSD drives here as well. No problems with MachFive 3.

I'm still on DP8.05, and 'downgraded' to it after trying DP8.06 for a few minutes.

I found that DP8.06 didn't like MachFive 3 and a few other problems.

But, this was a few months ago. Maybe I should re-visit?

Are some of you using DP8.06 without problem?
DP 11, OS Ventura
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Antfarm1, I just noticed I never updated my main setup to 8.06. Still on 8.05 and M5 is stable.

Dave, what version of DP is on your near obsolete Mac?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:
jloeb wrote:Wish everybody using it would post their specs so we might be able to get a sense of which conditions it behaves under and which it doesn't…
The current version of MachFive is rock solid for me under Mountain Lion. Specs are in the signature.
Same here, M5 v 3 and Mountain Lion. All has been working well.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1