MIDI Take Recording

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Ulas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Take Recording

Post by Ulas »

Hi.

My question is simple. Is there any way to do MIDI take recording like audio take recording in DP8 ? I did everything but can not find a way.

Thanks.
Mac Pro
Late 2013
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4
DP : 8.06
Guitar Gaz

Re: MIDI Take Recording

Post by Guitar Gaz »

No - often raised as needed for the wish list - but no way at present. The only way is to have a long sequence containing say 4 sections of the the one you wanted to do different takes on. Then you can play with a different "take" on each one.

So this seems a big deal and a big miss for DP - but the solution above is a piece of cake and therefore isn't really an issue. Go to the song window, and merge 4 or 5 chunks of the section you want to do different takes on. Simples...
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

I haven't done this in a while, but a workaround is to assign the 'New Take' command to a MIDI event. The when you're in memory cycle record just hit the keyboard key you assigned either at the beginning or end of your section and the take will increment. Something along those lines.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Ulas

Post by Ulas »

NazRat wrote:I haven't done this in a while, but a workaround is to assign the 'New Take' command to a MIDI event. The when you're in memory cycle record just hit the keyboard key you assigned either at the beginning or end of your section and the take will increment. Something along those lines.
Excellent solution! Thanks.

I hope we will also have MIDI comping feature in next release :)
Mac Pro
Late 2013
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4
DP : 8.06
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Ulas wrote:
NazRat wrote:I haven't done this in a while, but a workaround is to assign the 'New Take' command to a MIDI event. The when you're in memory cycle record just hit the keyboard key you assigned either at the beginning or end of your section and the take will increment. Something along those lines.
Excellent solution! Thanks.

I hope we will also have MIDI comping feature in next release :)
Whatever - I think my solution is better as you don't have to stop playing to hit a keystroke - but if you really want separate takes that's up to you - it would get on my nerves to have to stop playing and search for the key command.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Whatever - I think my solution is better as you don't have to stop playing to hit a keystroke - but if you really want separate takes that's up to you - it would get on my nerves to have to stop playing and search for the key command.
You don't stop playing, you just hit a note on your keyboard/controller to increment the take. You use the MIDI event not a key command on your computer qwerty keyboard.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

With Nazrat's method, you can do it with a pedal or any other MIDI device. If you get a pedal board with, say, 10 pedals on it, you can assign them to all kinds of commands to get more out of DP, including pedal-operated record, stop, rewind, etc.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Which reminds me . . . if you have a MOTU audio interface that supports a pedal (i.e. 828 series), you can also assign the command key combination New Take to the pedal in MOTU Audio Setup.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm with Guitar Gaz on this one. It is just a different set of tedious setup steps, but with GG's (and one that I've done when necessary)-- you can put it out of mind while you are in the process.

First, I duplicate the chunk, then I select the work section with some pre-roll and post-roll and replicate it as much as I want. This way I have all the takes in one visible stream. Easier to cut together than switching takes back & forth between takes.

In the edit stage, I'm guessing there is an easy way to setup varous "mute states" so I could quickly store and call up which tracks are play-enabled at a given time. But I don't know how to do that, so I end up switching between the MGE and the TO to play/mute tracks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

stubbsonic wrote: This way I have all the takes in one visible stream. Easier to cut together than switching takes back & forth between takes.
After you're done with your passes, 'Turn Takes Into Tracks'.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes. Thanks. For me the choice is between lots of muting and turning tracks on/off in the MGE, vs seeing the takes horizontally. Kind of depends how long the section is.

I still need to develop a workflow for play-enabling tracks that is easier.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

stubbsonic wrote:I'm with Guitar Gaz on this one. It is just a different set of tedious setup steps, but with GG's (one that I've done when necessary)-- you can put it out of mind while you are in the process.

First, I duplicayou hee chuseveralhen I select the work section with some pre-roll and post-roll and replicate it as much as I want. This way I have all the takes in one visible stream. Easier to cut together than switching takes back & forth between takes.

In the edit stage, I'm guessing there is an easy way to setup varous "mute states" so I could quickly store and call up which tracks are play-enabled at a given time. But I don't know how to do that, so I end up switching between the MGE and the TO to play/mute tracks.
It seems the most intuitive way of doing it to me - who wants to have to click to switch takes - and when do you click? Before the end of the take? Just seems more of a hassle than merging chunks to get a long chunk of repeats so you can do several passes.
Gary Shepherd
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

A nice feature add would be a mode where new takes are added automatically on each iteration of cycle recording.

But in actual practice I think a lot of people like to use overdub mode while cycle recording MIDI tracks. So currently while cycle recording with overdub mode, then hit a key to make a new take, this makes it possible to do best of both worlds.

Maybe an alternative mode that would be nice would be one where on each iteration of a cycle, a new MIDI event would create a new take automatically rather than overdubbing, something like that.

For audio we have POLAR.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

All good methods. I've used most of them. That is, I've used a "new take" pedal command, and I've done the thing with repeated copies of the same song, just recording take after take. I kind of have to agree that the latter is the easiest when first creating it.

For me, markers made it easy to do that. It's a simple thing to select between markers, then copy/paste more and more of them until you've got enough for all the takes you might have in you.

But I found also that I tended to have to stop and add more copies after a while, because I usually underestimated the number of takes I needed. (I always think I can do it better, no matter how good it gets.) So, I experimented with the pedals, too. While it wasn't the easiest way at first, it worked well for me after getting used to the process. Either way is good.

I'd like to see MOTU add some MIDI features, including takes, mutes, comping, and generally making MIDI work as well as audio (and possibly vice-versa on some features). It may be that this would make things backwardly incompatible with old files. Surely there is some conversion process that could fix that, if it's necessary. I don't see that as being a problem, though. Adding tools shouldn't change the files.

Just thinking out loud.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

YES !!!

"I'd like to see MOTU add some MIDI features, including takes, mutes, comping, and generally making MIDI work as well as audio (and possibly vice-versa on some features)"
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.