Switching to the MIDI Editor question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Switching to the MIDI Editor question

Post by Dan Worley »

I ask this in hopes that I'm missing something or doing something wrong, or, if that's not the case, in hopes that this behavior can be changed.

Like most of you, I use Shift T, Shift S, Shift M, and Shift G, etc, to switch windows. I also use Window Sets. Here is the thing that frustrates me about switching to the ME (I keep wanting to call it the GE). If I have an ME window open, but not as the active top window, and I hit Shift G, DP will not switch to the ME unless I have a MIDI track selected. I can kind of understand that behavior if the ME wasn't already open, but I don't understand the extra step of having to select a MIDI track after the ME is open. I just want to go back to the same ME window I was using before.

Where am I going/thinking wrong?

Edit: I sometimes use Mission Control/Exposé to switch. This is especially quick and easy with the Magic Trackpad, but it's just not a habit yet like Shift G.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Re: Switching to the MIDI Editor question

Post by Shooshie »

A long time ago I quit using that keyboard command for the MGE. It was too long ago to remember why, but you may have just reminded me of the reason.

Whatever the reason, I now leave the MGE at full screen in its own "Desktop" or "Space." If I have many chunks, all their MGE windows (one per chunk) will be stacked in that same space. The first time I pull one up, I may have to double-click on a MIDI track to bring it to the top of the pile, but from then on I just hit CONTROL-3, which is the Mission Control shortcut that takes me to the 3rd space, which is where I keep those windows.

Of course, that's using Spaces for all my windows, which requires briefly distributing the windows to their respective spaces in Mission Control before working in a just-opened file. And I don't want to turn this into a thread about how I work, so we'll just leave it at that.

I think your dilemma is just one of those DP things. There are other ways to open the graphic editor. It's up to you to find one that you like. With the Magic Trackpad and JiTouch, you could make a gesture/shortcut for it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Switching to the MIDI Editor question

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I almost posted the exact same question the other day. It's pretty annoying.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS