Korg Kronos X + DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Korg Kronos X + DP

Post by SixStringGeek »

It occurs to me that I was never more productive than when I was writing material on an ESQ-1, largely because I had the sequencer and sounds at my fingertips, and while DP and plugins are great, fiddling with the mouse and the keyboard, finding a patch, populating a track, etc....take time and slow me down and I'm feeling like it is getting in the way of getting my ideas down.

So I'm looking at the Kronos with its nice 16 track sequencer and liking it for getting something down fast. But naturally I'll want to move the thing to DP for finishing up once I get the bones down...so any Kronos users out there have any tricks on how to do this? Is it just slave DP to the Kronos, set up a multi-record template with 16 MIDI tracks on it, and pressing play? Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Thanks for any tips on getting the most from a Kronos/DP combination.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
jbyerly1

Re: Korg Kronos X + DP

Post by jbyerly1 »

I've been using a Korg X-3 for years. My Laptop is still running 7.5. My patch list showed up and connected with a MIDI/ usb. Stereo out of the key board. Rock solid
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

jbyerly1 wrote:I've been using a Korg X-3 for years. My Laptop is still running 7.5. My patch list showed up and connected with a MIDI/ usb. Stereo out of the key board. Rock solid
Do you used the X3 sequencer? If so, how do you move sequences from the X3 to DP?
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well I think that creating a sequence first on any workstation and then "transferring" it to
DP to finish up is a complete waste of time. Here's why:

You'll be using the Kronos sounds in your sequence. You'll be using the Kronos sequencer to
generate your MIDI data. But, you will then have to transfer the MIDI data back to DP, and
record the sounds of the Kronos as single audio tracks, in order to mix the project in DP.
Simply put, you're just doing the same work twice.

Yes it takes some additional time to start your computer and launch DP. But transferring the MIDI data and recording the audio from the Kronos actually increases the amount of time you'll be spending on finishing the project, vs. the time consumed if you simply start the project in DP from the beginning, using the Kronos as a sound source.

As good as the sequencer in any workstation is, it will never be as flexible as the one in a
DAW. Nor will you have the luxury of viewing everything on a large monitor if you do it
all on the keyboard workstation.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll second David's perspective… use the DP sequencer. If using an external synth as a sound source, you need not necessarily transfer the sounds to individual audio tracks before mixing, especially for demo projects.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Interesting. I resemble some of the OP's remarks, but kind of by accident. I realized that I hadn't bought a workstation keyboard since around 2000, as since then obviously the explosion of technology has been in the box. I'm certainly happy with my Axiom and more sounds than I can possibly explore in a lifetime, DP and plugins galore yada yada yada.

I've been gigging with my trusty Triton all this time and although I didn't 'need' a new keyboard for gigging, I suddenly had GAS for one. As it turned out, the GAS led to not only a Kronos X but also a MOXF 6. I had intended these keyboards to provide some added dimensions for gigging, but they're currently stacked in the studio and I'm having great fun with the new sounds and the creative stimulation of Karma and Yammie arpeggiators, so have used them for recent commercial projects lately as well.

But as David and HC have mentioned, I've been recording them exclusively to DP at this point. I had to dust off the MTPAV! That's not to say it wouldn't be wasted time to learn the respective onboard sequencers, since it's probably easier to record the arpeggiator MIDI output that way, although I discovered how to record it into DP and it wasn't difficult. Sometimes less is more, though, and the more creative possibilities the better.

I guess this isn't terribly helpful info, just thought it interesting that I've also stumbled back into using hardware in the studio after all these years of replacing it with soft solutions. Not as a permanent replacement, however!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I understand and agree with both standpoints. David's point is absolutely right, but I sometimes do what Six String does. At times I'll have an idea that I just want to sketch out real quick without turning on my entire system. I'll just plug in some headphones into my M3 and sequence a few tracks. I'll refine later after I copy the MIDI data into DP. Extra work? Yes, but also a time saver, at times. :)
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I was thinking about it like the difference between a pad of paper and pencil vs photoshop - sometimes I just want to sketch quickly while I still have the picture in my head. I can do a higher quality rendering later. After all, I still sing lines into my iphone, those aren't going into the final production either.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts. I've ordered one of the things, I'll be exploring how it might best work with DP over the next weeks.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I use a Korg M3 and love it. The only thing I don't like about Korg is the toggle mod. I much prefer mod wheels for VI work. I see that the Kronos and their newer one, Krome, also has toggle mods. :(

I agree with others though. I would use DP sequencer.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3