Footswitch to start Chunks for live performance????

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JLEpperson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Footswitch to start Chunks for live performance????

Post by JLEpperson »

How can I use a footswitch to start chunks for live performance. I have over 60 songs that I put in the order I want for the set. I would like to hit a footswitch to start the song instead of hitting the space bar. Is there a USP switch that would trigger the space bar or a MIDI footswitch which would go into my focusrite 18i? All suggestions welcome.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Footswitch to start Chunks for live performance????

Post by NazRat »

These folks have something for everyone:

http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

Could you just assign your foot switch in the commands window? There's a column for MIDI events.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I use Keith McMillen Softsep.
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/tour
For live shows, it's been my swiss knife for long now.
Totally configurable: Play, Stop, Record, chunk recall, MIDI, and more...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I use Keith McMillen Softsep.
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/tour
For live shows, it's been my swiss knife for long now.
Totally configurable: Play, Stop, Record, chunk recall, MIDI controllers, and more...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I took a Line 6 FB4 foot pedal and hooked it up to an old USB Computer keyboard I had. Instant USB pedal board.

More infos there.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 418f4e3e6d

Nothing like the DIY satisfaction. 8)
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have very much enjoyed having this Roland FC300. It may cost more than some of the DIY solutions, but the options it gives me are certainly worth the cost, which has been so long ago now that I don't even remember how much it was.

The two big pedals are expression pedals for Expression, Volume, Breath Control, or any other controller that you want to adjust dynamically and incrementally. All pedals are programmable. Some of my presets include transport controls: play, stop, rewind, record, and other things.

I have a picture that I drew of the pedal layout, which I use as a template, writing in the assignments I've programmed for each pedal. That way, I can come back to a preset years later and still know what the pedals do.

I think it has up to 14 switch pedals, and of course two expression pedals.

Programming the pedal to send the signal you want is half the story. The other half is in the MIDI Masters and the Commands Window (Shift-L). Go to the DP manual's section on MIDI Masters, and you'll get what you need. All commands in the Commands Window can have a MIDI trigger that is source-specific. (for example, a Controller Number that only comes from the FC-300)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Albert Bacardit

Post by Albert Bacardit »

Hi,
I'm trying to use a Line6 Pod XT Live to mute/unmute DP's tracks and auxes for live purposes. Once in the commands window, I can assign Mac Keys but I'm unable to insert anything in the MIDI Events box. What sort of character should I write?
Also, the Source box remains grey even if I click on it.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Albert
MacBook Pro 2.2, 16G RAM, OS 10.12.5, DP 9.5, Ultralite, MC Mix, A7s, Guitars, Keyboards, Amps, VIs and Plugins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

When you click in that column for the MIDI event, you should be able to invoke the specific MIDI event you want to enter it. (i.e., tap the foot switch, hit the MIDI note, etc).

Mine is not greyed out, even if I turn off the master, so that part is a bit of a mystery.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Albert Bacardit

Thank you Jon.
I trashed preferences and managed to make it work.
Cheers!
Albert
MacBook Pro 2.2, 16G RAM, OS 10.12.5, DP 9.5, Ultralite, MC Mix, A7s, Guitars, Keyboards, Amps, VIs and Plugins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Here's a solution that lets you use your own pedals and switches you already have:

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

These work beautifully. I have the Quattro and I'm about to get two more of them.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Albert Bacardit

Thanks,
I'll check them out