Editing MIDI - muting individual notes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Editing MIDI - muting individual notes

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:Volume is not always controlled by velocity.
Really! Tell us more!! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:Volume is not always controlled by velocity.
Really! Tell us more!! :rofl:
So why would you use zero velocity to mute notes?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

It was one observation of a possibility. If you want me to tell you more... in a track where there are many notes, would you insert a volume change AKA continuous controller? What happens to simultaneous notes aligned with the muted note? Velocity, on the other hand, is note specific and is not a continuous controller in the same sense that volume is. To wit: the density of velocity is the same as the density of total note on and note off messages. Or do you know of another way of controlling volume?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Hand-in-hand with a Mute Tool/Key command per MIDI note(s), is a Velocity tool.

If MOTU implements one, then the other should be easy enough to include as well.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It was one observation of a possibility. If you want me to tell you more... in a track where there are many notes, would you insert a volume change AKA continuous controller? What happens to simultaneous notes aligned with the muted note? Velocity, on the other hand, is note specific and is not a continuous controller in the same sense that volume is. To wit: the density of velocity is the same as the density of total note on and note off messages. Or do you know of another way of controlling volume?
As per the subject (Re: Editing MIDI - muting individual notes) it's about making a MIDI note not play at all, not controlling the way it plays. All of the works-arounds, including volume control don't work well enough. Time for the Mute Tool.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes and yes.

It would require a pretty low-level restructuring to add a mute-state to every MIDI event. If that mute state was a more general purpose control-value (0-127)-- then it could be used for more than one function-- like a per-note controller value. If there was more than one (even just two), one could be dedicated to mute-state, and the other could be used like a secondary non-velocity per-note value. This could be used to control a synth parameter- e.g., if it was set to random it could be used to just change the quality of repeated notes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:...it's about making a MIDI note not play at all, not controlling the way it plays.
And "not sounding" is not considered "controlling the way it plays" in your opinion? Maybe it's a matter of semantics.

Maybe not so much.

What about triggering keyswitches or other events with a silent (muted) note? You (or at least the rest of us) want to note to play but not to sound.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And "not sounding" is not considered "controlling the way it plays" in your opinion? Maybe it's a matter of semantics.
Yes, I would distinguish not playing a note at all from playing it but with various controls to effect what happens when it is played. A MIDI note mute tool would mean that it is not played at all.
MIDI Life Crisis

So what about keyswitching? In your world muting would not accomplish muting the note for that purpose. How would you do that without sounding the note?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I wouldn't mute a note used for keyswitching unless I didn't want the keyswitching to happen.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And "not sounding" is not considered "controlling the way it plays" in your opinion? Maybe it's a matter of semantics.
Yes, I would distinguish not playing a note at all from playing it but with various controls to effect what happens when it is played. A MIDI note mute tool would mean that it is not played at all.
Seems to me like the note "not sounding" was the goal. And in many cases, it seems like setting velocities to zero would be a valid workaround. I don't get what the fuss is about, really? Until such time as MOTU includes a MIDI Mute tool, we do what we have to do. I will sometimes just quickly duplicate a take and THEN mess with it when I'm using the HBTHBT technique. (How Bout This? How Bout That?)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Seems to me like the note "not sounding" was the goal. And in many cases, it seems like setting velocities to zero would be a valid workaround. I don't get what the fuss is about, really? Until such time as MOTU includes a MIDI Mute tool, we do what we have to do. I will sometimes just quickly duplicate a take and THEN mess with it when I'm using the HBTHBT technique. (How Bout This? How Bout That?)
Yes, there are a lot of work-arounds that will do in some situations and not in others. I just use Shooshie's approach because it works in every situation even though it's a bit awkward. My point was that zero velocity is not a real and general solution, or good alternative to a note mute tool.
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:I wouldn't mute a note used for keyswitching unless I didn't want the keyswitching to happen.
Do you understand what keyswitching is? Why would you want to use a sounding note to do that? Every time you use the note the keyswitch is activated and every time the keyswitch is activated you would hear the note. I'm not really sure what you're proposing here but JS is right - it doesn't really freakin' matter as far as DP and MOTU is concerned because it it not implemented and they're gonna do what they do if they do do their voodoo that they do soooooo well!!!

Besides, your position seems... "immutable" (pun intended).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Do you understand what keyswitching is?
Yes.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Why would you want to use a sounding note to do that?
I wouldn't.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm not really sure what you're proposing here
I'm not proposing anything. Just saying that I don't think zero velocity is a good way to deal with the lack of a note mute tool. Partly, because, as I said to your great amusement, velocity does not always control volume, and so, changing it's value to zero will not necessarily mute the note.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Obviously that depends on the MIDI instrument. All I'm saying is that it may or may not be a useful workaround for some. If not for you, fair enough. As I said, I just duplicate the take and cut notes. Who cares? Many ways to skin a cat, to borrow a barbaric figure of speech. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!