Editing MIDI - muting individual notes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Editing MIDI - muting individual notes

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm probably restating what someone else has said, but zeroing velocity would only work if I didn't want to get the original velocity back after zeroing it-- but I always do (want the original velocity back). Shooshie's work around of moving notes into a similar track is probably the best all-around option in the current DP.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

stubbsonic wrote:Yes and yes.

... If that mute state was a more general purpose control-value (0-127)-- then it could be used for more than one function-- like a per-note controller value.
Two states: a Toggle on or off (mute/unmute), and the option to adjust note velocity from 127 to 0. Drag a few notes with "the tool" then click on them to mute or to adjust velocity. Of course one can adjust velocity now by dragging the velocity points in the MIDI editor. But I gotta tell ya, my aging eyes are progressing towards those of a deep sea creature. :shock:

The productive thing to do is to make a plea here: http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:I'm probably restating what someone else has said, but zeroing velocity would only work if I didn't want to get the original velocity back after zeroing it-- but I always do (want the original velocity back). Shooshie's work around of moving notes into a similar track is probably the best all-around option in the current DP.
True enough. Although, done in one operation, Undo would probably get you back where you started. Might be you could do multiple undos all the way back to the original. The conversation obviously got sidetracked. I don't think anybody was arguing that it was the *best* option... just one of many.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

wvandyck wrote: Two states: a Toggle on or off (mute/unmute), and the option to adjust note velocity from 127 to 0. Drag a few notes with "the tool" then click on them to mute or to adjust velocity. Of course one can adjust velocity now by dragging the velocity points in the MIDI editor. But I gotta tell ya, my aging eyes are progressing towards those of a deep sea creature. :shock:
That's not quite what I was suggesting.

So you would have these two new values per each MIDI note event. Call them Note Control Value 1 & 2 (NCV1, NCV2). Both have a range from 0-127. They default to a value of zero.

You could then have a MIDI insert plugin that would allow you to assign those values to specific tasks or to generate a standard CC value. If you insert the NCV->Mute plugin, it will look at NCV1 and if the value is not zero, it will mute the note. If you insert the NCV->CC plugin, it will convert whatever values are in the NCV1 & 2 slots to two MIDI CCs.

These could act like secondary "velocities" in a sense (in terms of how they could be assigned)-- but unrelated to how you strike the key.

A third plugin could be: VELOCITY->NCV1, and a fourth: NCV->VELOCITY. All these could be combined to help move velocities around between tracks- as we discussed on another thread.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There are many ways of doing it, as with most things in DP. I always do a quick survey of the situation and decide which way seems most expedient without complicating things later. Often it's the scratch-track method. Sometimes I just hit DELETE, have a listen, and then UNDO. Expediency and simplicity are the desired qualities. Sometimes you can't have both. Sometimes you can't have either! But even in those cases, the scratch track method always works.

By the way, in moving scratch tracks around so they'll be within a screen's distance of the working track, I use keyboard commands. Here are the keyboard commands for moving tracks, from the DP Tips Sheet thread in this forum:
  • Move Mulitple Tracks Simultaneously
    Works in: Tracks Overview Window
    1. Select the tracks you want to move
    2. Use Control-Page Up/Down to shift them all one place at a time
    3, The real trick to making this quick is temporarily disabling "Lock layout to track order" in the Mixing Board mini-menu.

Category: Setup
    Moving Multiple Tracks Simultaneously
    Move Selected Tracks to be Together

Works in: Tracks Overview Window
    You can also move tracks to the top or bottom of the list by using "home" and "end" instead of "page up" and "page down" while holding down the CONTROL key. That gives you a little more flexibility when moving stuff around.

I don't know if they just added this in 4.6, but I noticed there is now a "move selected tracks to be together" command. After selecting the tracks you want to move, press OPTION-CONTROL HOME. This, with the other move commands, gives you total flexibility when shuttling tracks around in the tracks list. Awesome!
I hope it's all helpful to you.
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

stubbsonic wrote:I'm probably restating what someone else has said, but zeroing velocity would only work if I didn't want to get the original velocity back after zeroing it-- but I always do (want the original velocity back). Shooshie's work around of moving notes into a similar track is probably the best all-around option in the current DP.
Well stated. That is the whole point: to be able to return to your original velocity after experimenting with how a phrase sounds with select notes muted.

However my recommendation for a toggle and continuous velocity adjustment functionality is exactly what I put in MOTU's suggestion box along with links to multiple threads requesting MIDI note mute capability.

The functionality should just be there without having to assign controller functions and then insert specialized plug-ins.
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote:There are many ways of doing it, as with most things in DP. I always do a quick survey of the situation and decide which way seems most expedient without complicating things later. Often it's the scratch-track method. Sometimes I just hit DELETE, have a listen, and then UNDO. Expediency and simplicity are the desired qualities. Sometimes you can't have both. Sometimes you can't have either! But even in those cases, the scratch track method always works.

By the way, in moving scratch tracks around so they'll be within a screen's distance of the working track, I use keyboard commands. Here are the keyboard commands for moving tracks, from the DP Tips Sheet thread in this forum:.....

I hope it's all helpful to you.
Shoosh
It's certainly helpful to me. :D
You're patience and willingness to share knowledge continues to amaze me. I would come here to read your posts even during periods when I wasn't using DP.

Not sure what else to say.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wvandyck wrote:It's certainly helpful to me. :D
You're patience [...]

Not sure what else to say.

I think you've just made my day!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Yes!! This would be very useful for me!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

muting MIDI notes? :roll: . My favorite workaround is duplicate the take with several versions of notes muted and not muted. I've assigned a key command for previous take/next take (F14 and F15 respectively) and play in mode cycle and listen alternating versions
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||