How do you copy ONLY the On Velocities in a track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
markw525
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How do you copy ONLY the On Velocities in a track?

Post by markw525 »

I have a section of a piece where all of the strings are playing the same rhythm but different pitches. I have tweaked the On Velocities in the top track and would like to copy and paste this information on to other tracks without changing the pitches. I thought you could do this by selecting only the On Velocity in the View Filter. I know you can do this with Controller information but I can't seem to figure out how to do this with the On Velocities. Any suggestions? Currently using DP 8.06.
2 x 2 8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel MacPro w/ 18 GB of RAM
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do you copy ONLY the On Velocities in a track?

Post by Shooshie »

"On velocities" are properties of a MIDI note. MIDI notes consist of the onset time, the cutoff time, the pitch, and the velocity. It's VERY easy to edit those velocities, but to copy and paste just the velocity would be kind of hard to do in a graphic editor.

I have not used the Event List for more than the occasional edit in well over 20 years, so I don't remember if this is possible or not, but if it were possible to do this, that's where I would look.

Still, I think it's important to understand the fundamental difference between a note's component parts and a controller, and why it is easy to paste-in controllers at different values, but not just the velocity component of notes.

Again, DP's drawing tools make editing velocities a breeze in the MIDI Graphic Edit Window. You should be learning how to make those edits easily rather than attempting something that DP is just not set up to do. There may be a MIDI-DAW that can do that. I'm not the one to ask. But DP is not it. Frankly, I could draw in those edits faster than I could select, copy, and paste them.

Even the Change Velocity dialog may be quicker in some cases. It can do a lot.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

The best solution I've found for this is to copy the data into an empty track then select all the notes in piano roll and delete them.

If you have other controller data delete them by either showing only that particular CC in the window, select all or click on one point and "select similar type.

I do this a lot for strings. I will record MW and CC11 on one part and will copy that data to the other string tracks.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It might take a while to set up, but I'm wondering if a process could be built where the "velocity-guide-track" is connected to a slider that "listens" to the velocity of the input track and creates a CC stream. Then another process uses the CC levels to adjust the velocities of the destination track.

Seems doable, but I'm not sure if DP has those tools built in. It might require a third party MIDI tool. I think this topic came up in another context, where someone wanted to use velocity to control the cut-off on a Juno 106 (non-velocity synth).

At any rate, once the process was built, it would be quicker than editing all the velocities en-mass.

I'm not sure how to convert this into an easily worded feature-request. But the ability to apply the dynamics (velocities) of one track to another does come up pretty often.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:It might take a while to set up, but I'm wondering if a process could be built where the "velocity-guide-track" is connected to a slider that "listens" to the velocity of the input track and creates a CC stream. Then another process uses the CC levels to adjust the velocities of the destination track.

Seems doable, but I'm not sure if DP has those tools built in. It might require a third party MIDI tool. I think this topic came up in another context, where someone wanted to use velocity to control the cut-off on a Juno 106 (non-velocity synth).

At any rate, once the process was built, it would be quicker than editing all the velocities en-mass.

I'm not sure how to convert this into an easily worded feature-request. But the ability to apply the dynamics (velocities) of one track to another does come up pretty often.
You can actually do that in Custom Consoles, but they are mildly troublesome to set up. Once you get one working, you can duplicate it and reset the targets and sources for other tracks, but each console is very track-specific. And using Velocities in consoles either for source or target is one of the least reliable ways of using Consoles. Again, with some trial & error you can get it working. I've done it. But for me it wasn't worth doing regularly. Only for special functions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|