Error Messages, System Performance and RAM

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Error Messages, System Performance and RAM

Post by billgers »

Ok, the thread title seems to cover a little of everything, but they may all be related.

After moving to an SSD boot drive and upgrading all my software and my OS, I continue to sometimes get the following when I load the EWQL Play engine: "Your system is low on free memory. It is recommended to abort loading to avoid system instability"". I usually ignore the message and load anyway and generally everything works ok. Separately, when I open the Activity Monitor, it shows that I am using almost all of my available memory. Are these two things related and if so, would getting more RAM alleviate the problem?

The reason that I am confused about this is that the "memory pressure" graph at the bottom of the Activity monitor shows a negligible hit to the memory and this of course does not jive with the fact that my memory is almost 100% used.

Also, I thought the point of going 64 bit was so that I could use more than 4GB of RAM in DP, but DP never seems to go much above 3GB of RAM anyway (although I see that my Play Engine is using about 1GB as well).

Should I be using any of my memory servers at all in 64bit (K5, Play etc.)?

Will more RAM help at all when I push my CPU and I get stuttering or the "Audio Playback has overloaded your computer's processor" message in DP or will I get that message with this CPU no matter how much RAM I put in?

Lastly, I am thinking of adding either 8 or 16GB of RAM to my machine but I don't want to do it if it isn't actually going to make a difference. If I add more RAM, what specific improvements might I see? Ability to run more VI's? More stable DP?

I know I just threw out a bunch of different questions, but I am thinking they are related and hoping someone can advise me on the situation.

Thanks!
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II