Not exactly quantizing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
italodisco
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Not exactly quantizing

Post by italodisco »

I'm wondering what's causing this issue - I looked in the PDF manual for relative grid stuff and I'm not really sure that's what's happening.

Using DP8.06. I cut a piece of audio - let's say a drum hit - nice and tight so I have the transient right at the start. I select the soundbite, quantize to 16th notes - it snaps over to 5.1.000...or so I thought.

If I zoom WAYYY in and it actually isn't quantized right - it's on 5.1.003. I hit quantize again while zoomed in, it jumps to 5.1.000.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.
italodisco

Re: Not exactly quantizing

Post by italodisco »

(And by "what I'm doing wrong" I mean how can I not have to zoom and quantize twice?)
italodisco

Post by italodisco »

Even though there have been no replies on here, I just confirmed with MOTU tech support that the problem (at least not quantizing right onto the exact beat) is replicable. Unlike me, the tech could not get the soundbite to further quantize when moved in.

Major flaw even though it's on such a small level as not to be easily heard in most cases, but still strange and looking forward to an explanation, which I hope to receive. Failing that, looking forward to a fix.
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tritonemusic »

Thanks for the followup. It's good info to have.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Small tolerances, but very much enough to cause phasing issues, and it's completely NOT "sample accurate." If they're going to say that DP is sample accurate, which has always been one of its big selling points, then it definitely needs to BE sample accurate, especially when you hit "Quantize." If there's any time it needs to be sample accurate, that is certainly it.

I didn't know that was happening, and I have to admit that it makes me a little angry. The programmers need to check for stuff like that. Sample-accurate, boys and girls. That means... oh you know what it means. Just do it! (pretty please?)

I'm starting to think that the guys who wrote DP the first time around were giants. Not that the new guys won't catch up to them, but little things like this have to be absorbed as lessons, not tossed off as "sh*t happens."

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
italodisco

Post by italodisco »

If it's not user error or something I'm not aware of, I agree it's an outrage (at least scaled to DAW outrage levels)… Here's hoping it's something we haven't thought of that explains the behavior. It was suggested I try "Clear Sync Point" on all the Soundbites, but I haven't set any and it's my own recorded audio (not imported) meaning it's doubtful there are errant sync points. Nonetheless the next time I notice the issue I'll try this suggestion and report back.
labman

Post by labman »

I concur wholeheartedly with SHooshie. If this is true, then it needs to be addressed pronto. There are enough other sources of bad phase relationships in audio, that we need DP to 'tell the truth at all times', otherwise it is shooting in the dark at a moving target.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just confirming this old thread. This bug happens on my system 8.07/10.10.5.

It's probably been like that, and I didn't zoom in enough to see. The amount it was off in my test was a little over one sample. I could understand if this was just a rounding error of less than a sample.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

If someone can replicate this issue in DP 9.x, please file a report here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61937

Video or images would be appreciated, along with a concise step-by-step.
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

And I was just going to pose the question of whether it's better to use a bus to perform parallel compression or to duplicate the track to avoid phasing issues...oh dear.

I also noticed this in 2006-2007 when working on a project at that time. I thought it was probably a graphic issue and not audible...bummer it's still an issue. I have many many question, like dither, once again... for f**** sake...
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm not sure I'd be able to hear a track delayed by 1 sample (or in this case, something like 1.5 samples). But yea, the bigger point being that we're all trusting that quantizing and nudging are behaving as any reasonable person would expect them to.

This is especially bothersome since we've heard over the decades various claims that DP has be "redesigned" or "rebuilt" from THE GROUND UP. I would take that to mean that they've worked with all the code to make sure it is all working correctly and with precision. This and the nudge bug are important, not because the error is so huge-- or that a workaround can't be found, but that they happen at all. As an aside, if MOTU pledge that they would fix ALL these things, I would gladly pay for that update-- even if it meant that it might take a while. Their focus on new features is fine, but at the expense of languishing features & bugs--it's a little hard to defend.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Not trying to be a jerk at all but, has MOTU responded to these claims at any point? If DP is not sample accurate, as I mentioned before, wouldn't it also not have proper phasing? Sorry, again, not trying to cause a stir, just asking/sayin...
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Nibiru wrote:Not trying to be a jerk at all but, has MOTU responded to these claims at any point? If DP is not sample accurate, as I mentioned before, wouldn't it also not have proper phasing? Sorry, again, not trying to cause a stir, just asking/sayin...
No response from Motu yet, but I can replicate this pretty easily in every version of DP9. See the attached video.

I created a new techlink for this a few minutes ago. I'll update the community issues list with this if/when I've confirmed (or not!) it with Motu.

(Forgive my stuttering. I got sick of re-recording 20-30 times like I usually do to deal with my stutters. </irrational embarrassment>)
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Just throwing this out there. I've seen something like this in versions of DP dating back ... for awhile. I wonder if it is simply a UI rendering(bug/rounding error) and the audio engine is actually handling the timing sample accurate. Just a thought...