Mono track to stereo track? Is there a way?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mono track to stereo track? Is there a way?

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi guys,

Is there a way to convert stereo tracks with virtual instruments on them to mono tracks, or do I have to start over with mono tracks from the get-go? I'm trying to slim-down my big orchestra template to reduce RAM use and CPU load, and I'm wondering if putting all my instruments on mono tracks will help.

As always, I'm indebted to you guys for your help. Thank you.

Mike
dpg4macman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mono track to stereo track? Is there a way?

Post by dpg4macman »

Select the stereo track and bounce to disc - select broadcast wave, deinterleaved. That will make two mono tracks left and right. Import the mono file and move on.

Hope this helps : )
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mono track to stereo track? Is there a way?

Post by bayswater »

That's probably not what you want unless the two sides of the track are already identical. But if you put the Trim plug on the track and pan both left and right to one side or the other, you'll get a mix on one side and nothing on the other. Maybe something you can use.

There are a lot of threads asking the same question and I don't think anyone has posted a simple and quick method inside DP. I usually use DSP-Q using batch processing if there are a lot of tracks to deal with.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8