ARRGGH!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
oceantracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ARRGGH!

Post by oceantracks »

Sorry, new user getting frustrated.

Let me ask you guys this....if you had a exported all audio tracks in Logic or Cubase with the intention of importing them into DP, what would you do to get them into DP, on screen ready to work with, the fastest way?

If I drag them to the soundbites window, they still have to be dragged onscreen in the SEQ editor. I'm not sure if they can be dragged directly to the seq editor, seems like I tried that with no success. And dragging them to tracks window mysterious creates tracks for them...but does not put the audio onscreen in the seq editor....oh my, I'm so confused.

Any help appreciated. I have a lot Logic sessions I'd be exporting and trying to get into DP if I end up keeping it after the trial.

Thanks
Tom
MartinBaird

Re: ARRGGH!

Post by MartinBaird »

I'm not in front of DP right now but I think you can drag them from a Finder window directly into/onto the Tracks Overview window in DP. Here's the thing to make sure you do though: drag them to the far left side of the Tracks Overview window to a point just below the last track in the list. All the audio files should import to their own newly created tracks all starting at measure 1, beat 1. Unless, of course, the files have timestamps which would mean they might end up where ever the timestamp is.
Again, I'm not in front of DP so I may have missed a point.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Easiest might be if one file per length of each track is dragged from Finder to the left side of the Tracks window (Tracks List) to create a track per file.

If tracks contain audio regions of different lengths, Export to AAF, then open in DP. All will be where they belong.
Last edited by wvandyck on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
magicd

Post by magicd »

When you drag audio to the left side of the DP TRacks window, new tracks are created for each audio file. The tracks are named based on the audio files. The soundbites from the audio files are placed at their original SMPTE timestamp locations.

I've had more than one call where someone has asked me where is the audio that got imported? The answer is either that the View Filter (Setup menu) has been set to not show soundbites, or more commonly, the time stamp of the soundbite is way off from the SMPTE start point of the DP sequence.

A DP sequence defaults to start at SMPTE time 0:00:00:00. If you import audio that was timestamped at SMPTE time 1:00:00:00, the audio will show up somewhere around bar 1800 (which corresponds to SMPTE time 1:00:00:00 at 120 BPM). So either move the audio back to the start of the DP sequence, or set the Chunk Start Time (Chunks window mini-menu) to SMPTE time 1:00:00:00 before you do the import.

Dave
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

magicd wrote:A DP sequence defaults to start at SMPTE time 0:00:00:00. If you import audio that was timestamped at SMPTE time 1:00:00:00, the audio will show up somewhere around bar 1800 (which corresponds to SMPTE time 1:00:00:00 at 120 BPM). So either move the audio back to the start of the DP sequence, or set the Chunk Start Time (Chunks window mini-menu) to SMPTE time 1:00:00:00 before you do the import.
That has happened to me, and while I figured there was a good reason for it (and kinda knew the reason), this is the first time I've seen it explained. It's always good to know it's a feature, not a bug!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|