Parallel Compression

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Parallel Compression

Post by Dan Worley »

bayswater wrote:Isn't that because the MW is meant to be used on the master channel?
Are you speaking about the MW compressor? I don't know why you'd think it's just for the master channel? You should be able to use it anywhere, not that it's appropriate for everything.

I can't really speak about it with much knowledge because I've never used it in a project. I have only just tested it. My guess is it causes phasing when used in parallel because it's multiband, but I don't really know if that's the cause. Maybe it (and the MW Limiter) just isn't reporting to DP's Automatic Delay Compensation correctly.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan Worley wrote:
bayswater wrote:Isn't that because the MW is meant to be used on the master channel?
Are you speaking about the MW compressor? I don't know why you'd think it's just for the master channel? You should be able to use it anywhere, not that it's appropriate for everything.

I can't really speak about it with much knowledge because I've never used it in a project. I have only just tested it. My guess is it causes phasing when used in parallel because it's multiband, but I don't really know if that's the cause. Maybe it (and the MW Limiter) just isn't reporting to DP's Automatic Delay Compensation correctly.
I may not recall this correctly but there was a discussion about some compressors, limiters and reverbs that are assumed by their authors to be used on the last step of the audio path be so they don't need to report latency to ADC. I thought these were among those plugins.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, as per my first post in this thread, I've had phase trouble with look-ahead plugins and parallel compression. It's been so long since I've done it that I just don't remember the exact parameters, but it does seem like the look-aheads have more problems, and I think I attributed it to the fact that they have a rather large "set" latency in the 80ms range. But I'm just babbling useless information without going and testing it, and I don't have time to do that right now.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:... But I'm just babbling useless information without going and testing it, and I don't have time to do that right now.
Me either, and plus, I don't really care.

The easy answer is to use a comp that works. I gave the OP a list of some that do, including a really nice freeware comp that's better than many of the paid ones http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/, and there are hundreds more, and DP's Dynamics plugin does work, for whoever wants to use it.

So the good news is, many choices. :)
DP10.13
magicd

Post by magicd »

You can use any compressor you want for parallel compression. If there is any issue with phasing, that is easily solved. Use the DP Precision Delay after the compressor. You can even use the side chain input to receive a signal from the non-compressed channel path (via send and bus) for direct phase comparison.

I have been finding that the Precision Delay plug-in is an incredibly powerful tool for working with any phase related audio signals. You can use the phase scope or just your ears to really "tune" the sound.

Dave
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

magicd wrote:You can use any compressor you want for parallel compression. If there is any issue with phasing, that is easily solved. Use the DP Precision Delay after the compressor. You can even use the side chain input to receive a signal from the non-compressed channel path (via send and bus) for direct phase comparison.

I have been finding that the Precision Delay plug-in is an incredibly powerful tool for working with any phase related audio signals. You can use the phase scope or just your ears to really "tune" the sound.

Dave
I must confess, it's one of my new secret weapons.. does any other DAW have (included) anything like it?

I used it the other day to align multiple video camera mics.. such a useful tool.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

magicd wrote:You can use any compressor you want for parallel compression. If there is any issue with phasing, that is easily solved. Use the DP Precision Delay after the compressor. You can even use the side chain input to receive a signal from the non-compressed channel path (via send and bus) for direct phase comparison.

Dave
Ahhh... this is why I love this forum. I had completely forgotten that this plugin exists. Thanks, Dave.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
richardein

Post by richardein »

Excellent tips. Thanks, guys.

R
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

And don't forget Stillwell's amazing "The Rocket" which is a great sounding compressor with a Parallel Compression dial on the interface.

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/r ... ompressor/
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dan Worley wrote:
Shooshie wrote:... But I'm just babbling useless information without going and testing it, and I don't have time to do that right now.
... including a really nice freeware comp that's better than many of the paid ones http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/, ...
Looks interesting. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the heads-up!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Dan Worley wrote: ... including a really nice freeware comp that's better than many of the paid ones http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/, ...
Beware! Just having the Tokyo Dawn Feedback Compressor's component installed can cause FCPX to crash when the Effects Browser is selected.

Thankfully, I found this out on the FCPX Support Forum before I had to do major troubleshooting and repair. Other AU components are causing this problem for people, too.
DP10.13
richardein

Post by richardein »

Thanks, Dan, will try the dynamics plug-in
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand