Xils DeeS de-esser, said to be the most transparent ever

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
4leafplanet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Xils DeeS de-esser, said to be the most transparent ever

Post by 4leafplanet »

I tried the demo, and its not bad by any means but will stick with the method i got down till something better pops up. The added filtering is nice but nothing special. In the end it didn't save me time or sound better better.

The cool thing about it is the compression is not related to the input signal, but rather an algo they developed...
DP7.24, MacbookPro7.1, (C2D, 2.4GHz, 1 Processor, 8GB Memory, Bus Speed 1.07, L2 Cache 3Mb,) SnowLeopard, FireFace 800, MCU, MidiSport4x4, LaCie d2 HDs using FW800, SitecomUSB2.0 powered hub, Casio Privia PX-310 electric piano.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:You've piqued my interest. I didn't know about Meldaproductions plugs, so maybe I'll give them a look and listen. I'm about to mix an album of close-micced vocals, and this might be my "aha!" moment for de-essers.

As for spectrum meters, don't let any old-timer guilt you about "use your ears, not your eyes," because what they're really saying is "don't make me learn something new." Of course we use our ears. That's what we do! But when you add the visual information, it just clarifies what you're hearing. When you learn things like "aha, these overtones are reinforcing all the octaves, which is why I'm hearing this particular sound," that can only be beneficial to gaining control over what you're doing. Otherwise, you're just messing with knobs on Dad's stereo. Having that concrete information to reinforce what you hear and give it a name, so to speak, is what speeds the process of understanding what your ears are telling you. Information is golden.

I use Blue Cat Audio's meters, which many people here think are wonderful, myself included.

Shooshie
A while back I downloaded the free Melda bundle, then upgraded it to whatever it's called. I don't remember the cost but it was minimal - well worth the money. I use some of the Blue Cat stuff as well, but like the Melda stuff better for some things. I really like the custom shape feature of their compressor. Once you get the hang of it you can really do some surgical stuff. And their analyzer is more extensive than Blue Cat's.

Thanks for the nice treatment of "use your ears/eyes." I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Sometimes I like to just close my eyes and listen, but there are times when I want to know exactly what's going on and fancy metering is just the ticket.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As I despise all Boss/Roland chorus products (and have owned several of them in the past), it's no surprise I disliked Chor'X. I only like transparent chorusing. If I want colour, I'll go for VERY mild flanging, or phasing.

As for de-essing, I rarely use it on vocals vs. other techniques, but find it extremely useful on hi-hats, and side-chained with bass on snare tracks. Now that I use ribbon mics for a lot of stuff though, I have less use for de-essing in general.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Now that I'm done with my gigs for the weekend, I put Xils DeeS to the test just now, and it's one of the worst plug-ins I've ever used.

Even at very mild settings, it puts a dark veil over everything, reducing articulation and somehow adding artifacts that muddy things up (even with the EQ flat). The coloration is very significant, compared to every other de-esser I compared it to tonight.

I guess I'm by now spoiled by the amazing Oxford Supressor. I was still using Eiosis for drum de-easing before going 64-bits, but Oxford long ago became my go-to for vocals because it is incredibly transparent and can handle plosives, whistles, and other common problems, and takes well to stacking (multiple instances to deal with individual problems on one pass).

I did not try this plug-in on hi-hat or anything else like that, as I expect Eiosis will be ready for 64-bits by the time I am ever dealt a legacy session god dal with or one where I did not record the drums myself. Anything that I am in charge of throws ribbon mics on the top kit and has zero issues that need addressing in the mix in terms of surgical editing (other than HPF/LPF).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH