New Mac Pro, thunderbold drive, DP jutters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
berlinpigeon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Mac Pro, thunderbold drive, DP jutters

Post by berlinpigeon »

Hello everyone!
I am very curious about what you are about to say. I am a little frustrated. I acquired a new mac pro 3,5Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 with 16 GB Ram, internal SSD card. I have all my samples on an external LACIE drive with a thunderbolt connection. I was hoping that from now on, warning signs about overload will be a topic from yesterday.

When I have more than 10 instruments in Kontakt running and 2 in Machfive, DP starts to jitter and doesn't respond properly anymore.

CPU is not overload at all. Looking at the Activity Monitor there is plenty more room.

My questions is, is it the external hard drive that is simply too slow? 7200RPM/64MB cache Here is a DISK SPEED TEST image (http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3694 ... w3_png.htm)
Is there a trick to format it or a preference in DP that would help?

Many thanks to all of you!

C
BKK-OZ

Re: New Mac Pro, thunderbold drive, DP jutters

Post by BKK-OZ »

I can't comment about your drive speed (should be fast enough though), but I can confirm that M5 has been kinda flakey on my machine (new MP, similar spec to yours). I just downloaded 3.2.1 of M5 to see if that helps. Is everything up to date on your machine?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I got all the latest versions. DP 8.06, Mach Five 3.2.1, OS 10.9.4 and Kontakt 5.3.1. Usually this should be a piece of cake for my set up. I am curious about other users with the same set up. Any news about external SSD with a thunderbolt connection?
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Mach V may be the problem. It may not work well with Kontakt. I know it does not work well with Ivory piano plug in. Try removing Mach V and see how Konakt works without it.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Even after upgrading, M5 is still causing processor spikes, unlike all my other VI's.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Thanks apanazzi! Yes! It does work better without Mach Five. There really should be a solution to this. :brucelee:
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

And thanks BKK! :headbang: You all rock!
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

berlinpigeon wrote:Thanks apanazzi! Yes! It does work better without Mach Five. There really should be a solution to this. :brucelee:
I got the same problem with my recent iMac ;-(
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

At least I am not alone..haha. :woohoo:
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Hey everyone! Has there been any development on this subject? Cheers! C
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

berlinpigeon wrote:Hey everyone! Has there been any development on this subject? Cheers! C
My problem is gone since I updated Mach Five and all my Native plugins
Plus, I wonder about spotlight causing this ......
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Aramis wrote:My problem is gone since I updated Mach Five and all my Native plugins
M5 still causes processor spikes and the odd random crash for me.
Argh.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

If the Mach 5 edit window is open during recording or playback, there is, visually at least, hesitation and jittering. Switching to the Info, FX, or event window seems to clear things up.

Worth a try.

Bowman
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express