bringing templates into DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

bringing templates into DP8

Post by billgers »

I just recently upgraded everything in my software setup (Mavericks, DP, all plug -ns etc.) and one thing that I noticed is that my previous DP templates don't show up in 8.06. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to import those or access my older ones from 7.24 from within 8.06?

Would it be easiest for me to just open existing projects that use comparable templates to my old ones and then just save as new templates? My only concern with doing that is that I noticed that some of my templates started to get buggy as I turned them into full-blown arrangements and I would prefer to start with something with less baggage.

Thank you,

Bill
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: bringing templates into DP8

Post by FMiguelez »

billgers wrote:I just recently upgraded everything in my software setup (Mavericks, DP, all plug -ns etc.) and one thing that I noticed is that my previous DP templates don't show up in 8.06. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to import those or access my older ones from 7.24 from within 8.06?
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you need to "import" your 7.24 templates? If you have 8.06, why not simply open those and save them as something else?
When you say that your previous DP templates don't show up in 8.06, what do you mean? They are not listed under the DP templates in the menu, or you can't see them in the Finder?

You can always use the Load command to import any number of chunks from any project, but it would be easier to simply open your older templates with DP8.06 and save them as such.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
billgers

Post by billgers »

I guess what I am saying is that I don't see them in the DP templates menu (I only see the generic templates that come with DP). Where should I expect to find the templates in the finder? Or is there a way to get them to show up in the templates menu?
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Oh, I see.

I don't use DP templates but session templates.

I think that the location of the templates folder changed in DP8. IIRC, you can find it in your Home's Preferences folder. It should be inside a folder that starts with .com.motu, or something like that.
I suppose it would be a simple matter of moving your templates to that location, so DP can see them.

Otherwise, you can double click on any of your current templates, so they open in DP8 normally, and you can re-save them as templates from there. I've never tried it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work like this.

Let us know how it goes.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yup.
I just checked. There they are. Move your templates there, so DP sees them (current user>Library>Preferences>com.motu.DigitalPerformer>Document Templates)

And you can also do the second option from my previous post.

billgers

Post by billgers »

I will try out your suggestions later today. I appreciate your input on this.

Can you tell me what you mean when you say you use session templates instead of DP templates? Perhaps I should be doing this as well?

Thanks.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Sure.

What I called DP "session" templates (what a terrible name), are basically your regular templates PLUS MIDI and/or audio data (AKA a normal DP session). In my template, all of my VSL MIDI tracks have a lot of CC automation in them (mostly parameters set at default, ready for automation).

The reason I use this is because, as you probably realized, you can't save any of that within regular DP templates.

When I start a new project, I simply duplicate my "special project folder" (where I have my DP template, among other pre-organized folders and docs), and open it as a normal DP document. It's very effective.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:When I start a new project, I simply duplicate my "special project folder" (where I have my DP template, among other pre-organized folders and docs), and open it as a normal DP document. It's very effective.
If you mark these files as Stationary in the Finder, it will force you to make a copy, and will prevent you from changing the original.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billgers

Post by billgers »

Great tips from both of you. Much appreciated. It definitely makes sense to have as much of the data ready to go as possible if you know it will be duplicated for every project.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:When I start a new project, I simply duplicate my "special project folder" (where I have my DP template, among other pre-organized folders and docs), and open it as a normal DP document. It's very effective.
If you mark these files as Stationary in the Finder, it will force you to make a copy, and will prevent you from changing the original.
Agreed.

That's a good thing to do to avoid messing up your originals.

BTW, one day I should post a video of my little Applescript app I created for starting new projects. It duplicates my template folder, asks for a project name and other info, renames its default items, fills-out some TextEdit docs, connects to the slaves, copies a folder to the slaves, etc. It's simple, but I'm very proud of my little app :mrgreen:

Like Six String Geek once told me, programming is very similar to composing music. He was so right! So my app is like a short minuet!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:BTW, one day I should post a video of my little Applescript app I created for starting new projects. It duplicates my template folder, asks for a project name and other info, renames its default items, fills-out some TextEdit docs, connects to the slaves, copies a folder to the slaves, etc. It's simple, but I'm very proud of my little app :mrgreen:
I was thinking of something like this to bring up Cuemix, some external VIs, maybe Logic, load a template, etc. Maybe you could post the script?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
I was thinking of something like this to bring up Cuemix, some external VIs, maybe Logic, load a template, etc. Maybe you could post the script?
I would love to post it, but the thing is that it turned out to be quite long and complicated. I used a lot of Handler calling, and I even started my own library of Handlers, so the app jumps back and forth all over the place. It can even "know" where the currently opened DP session is stored in the Finder (even if it's a complete new session), thanks to a trick I discovered with the Clippings window! (DP is not scriptable, but there are a few simple things that one can do with DP, and some more if you bring QuicKeys into the equation).

What I can do, if you're interested, is point you to some good Applescript resources, and email you my scripts (which live in the form of 3 separate apps), so you can take a look at the code. I remember I used copious amounts of comments, so you could follow what it does.

This app is a long-term project of mine. That's why I complicated myself with extra Handler libraries and separated the app into 3 parts. I went as I learnt, so I'm sure there are better ways of doing it with more experience on my part.

I got it to do what I wanted, but now I need to do more research if I want to improve it and continue developing into something much better. The thing is that when Mavericks arrived, Apple also overhauled the Applescript program, and apparently now it got much much better and complicated. I understand the new Applescript suite works with objects and Objective C, so now one can do more sophisticated things, but with the cost of a much steeper learning curve.

What I suggest is to think exactly what things you would like your app to do for you, in steps (i.e., close all windows, open CueMix if it's not active, open a Finder window in certain location, etc). From there, I can point you to the resources that can inform you on how to get those steps. It's a steep learning curve, but totally doable.
If the things you want done are not too complex, you can probably start with Automator. That's what I did, but soon after I wanted more, so I resorted to Applescript.

Let me know if you want me to email you my apps.

But you'll have to be careful, Bays... This stuff is totally addictive!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Let me know if you want me to email you my apps.
But you'll have to be careful, Bays... This stuff is totally addictive!
Yes, I'd like to give this a try. Will PM. Thanks.
billgers

Post by billgers »

Just want to thank everyone for the responses here. I was going to try to move the templates over to the new folder location, but I cannot find the template folders anywhere on my Snow Leopard drive where they have lived previously. I read through some old threads about the location of the templates pre-lion and still can't find them. I may just open up some old projects that I know aren't corrupted and use those as new templates. Going forward, I may use the "session template" instead of monkeying with the DP templates.

wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

billgers wrote:I guess what I am saying is that I don't see them in the DP templates menu (I only see the generic templates that come with DP). Where should I expect to find the templates in the finder? Or is there a way to get them to show up in the templates menu?
It's better to recreate new templates from scratch to avoid any buggy behavior.

Part of the issue may be that the user Library is hidden in versions of OSX Lion and beyond.
An easy way to access custom user Document Templates from within DP is to click on the Open button in DP Preferences>General>Document.

A handy way of making the user Library visible is to hold down the Option key while opening the OSX Go menu which will reveal the Library. Once revealed, double-click on the Library to open it. Drag the title bar of the Library window to the Finder Side Bar (where Documents, Pictures, Music and other folders reside) so that its always visible.

Now go to the Preferences folder in the user Library. Look for a folder named com.motu.DigitalPerformer. That's where custom user Document Templates are stored.

Hope this helps.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.