New MOTU Hardware!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New MOTU Hardware!

Post by bayswater »

MartinBaird wrote:Regarding the 1248, can all the inputs be used at the same time? Meaning, can I plug in 2 guitars, 4 mics, and 8 line level sources and record to 14 channels in DP?
Thanks for the clarification.
Martin
This type of question is well covered at the Sweetwater site. Their descriptions tell you, among other things, whether physical inputs have discrete channels, and the simultaneous channel count.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MartinBaird wrote:Regarding the 1248, can all the inputs be used at the same time? Meaning, can I plug in 2 guitars, 4 mics, and 8 line level sources and record to 14 channels in DP?
Thanks for the clarification.
Martin
Yes. Plus 16 channels of ADAT (at 44 or 48k) and 2 SPDIF. And all the outputs, analog & digital, too.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Test drove a 16A on the laptop via USB today, all seems cool, the mixer app seems to be well laid out, and easy to grasp at a glance, given the dense options available. My phone had no problem jumping on as another controller.

Audio? Haven't listened yet!

Made in USA, nice.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

The routing capabilities from the AVB Discovery app are great, very flexible.

I had audio streaming through the 16A from an ADAT input source, pulled the USB cable out of the laptop (routing control), no hiccup at all.

Appears to run the outputs roughly 4dB hotter than the 2408mkIII or 24i/o, I dialed them back in the app to match. Can't speak to an input comparison yet.

At one point I had ADAT connection between 2408 and 16A, analog patches between them, word clock between them with one as slave, 2408 with DP running on one computer, 16A with DP running on another computer, passing audio back and forth seamlessly. I don't know what I'd do with that, but it did run very easily with no configuration problems or conflicts.
Last edited by EMRR on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

EMRR wrote:At one point I had ADAT connection between 2408 and 16A, ..... I don't know what I'd do with that, but it did run very easily with no configuration problems of conflicts.
One thing you can do is keep access to something like a PCI card if one of the computers has a PCI slot. I do that to access a UAD-1 from an iMac.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yeah, I had the G5/PCI system slaved to the MBP/16A via word clock, using the 2408 as additional analog inputs/outputs routed via ADAT to/from the 16A. You can hear timing difference phase smear if you mult a source to both PCI and 16A outputs, probably fine so long as sources are kept separate in a planned manner, problematic with sources sharing bleed.

I checked to see if I could make anything happen with the 2408mkIII as a stand alone piece slaved to the 16A, and if you can get ADAT to analog in stand alone, I haven't figured it out. The manual does not address this usage, so it may not be possible.

I see this about it:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ne#p255445

The AVB Discovery app jacks up the 2008 MBP CPU pretty high, as the only thing running. Running DP alongside at 88K2 rate, CPU is close to redline, but it didn't crap out, and graphics held up on plugs with VU meters. I don't think I'd want to run a full session on the old MBP, but it will work fine for live capture on remotes, etc.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

EMRR wrote:You can hear timing difference phase smear if you mult a source to both PCI and 16A outputs,
Yes, I use AUDelay on the channels that are not delayed to keep everything in sync.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

OK, I sorted out the 2408mkIII standalone situation.

2408mkIII can only have digital OR analog input, so can’t go both directions in standalone mode.

At 44K1/48K, any single ADAT input (A, B, or C) passes audio out the analog connectors.
Selecting A/B/C ADAT input does not pass output audio.

As a result, 8 channel analog output at 88K2/96K is not possible, 4 channel is.

8 channel analog input will pass to ADAT outputs at all sample rates.

For whatever reason, Chrome ate a lot less CPU than Safari with the AVB Discovery app.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

The hardcopy manual specifically mentions downloading the AVB Discovery app for iPhone and iPad from iTunes (or was it App store?), I take it this is an early print revision that hasn't been corrected, or one version of the app hasn't made it through Apple's process and gone live? The download from the MOTU site certainly works fine.

I wonder since the web app address contains the unit serial #, if that is also a theft deterrent/tracking ID?
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
wdehaene
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by wdehaene »

Dear all

new to this forum but i think this is the place to put my question
I was looking at the new 16A. Can it be controlled from other software via osc or MIDI or something. With the 828 like gear this is possible via Cuemix if i am not mistaken. (I am not a motu user yet)

thanks for any clarification

regards,

wim
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For whatever reason, Chrome ate a lot less CPU than Safari with the AVB Discovery app.
Interesting seeing that Safari is 64bit and Chrome is still 32bit. There are some things that Chrome does extremely well, however.
The hardcopy manual specifically mentions downloading the AVB Discovery app for iPhone and iPad from iTunes (or was it App store?),
Same thing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

mikehalloran wrote:
The hardcopy manual specifically mentions downloading the AVB Discovery app for iPhone and iPad from iTunes (or was it App store?),
Same thing.
Well, there's nothing in either place. I think MOTU changed paths on distribution.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

wdehaene wrote: I was looking at the new 16A. Can it be controlled from other software via osc or MIDI or something. With the 828 like gear this is possible via Cuemix if i am not mistaken. (I am not a motu user yet)

Download the manual if you haven't, and see what you find. The control app is like Cuemix x10, but I'm sure there also must be SOME application in which you couldn't control it. For a permanent install, you can hook it up to an applicable controller and save a setting in memory that is accessible through the front panel menu (I have tested that).
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Same thing.
Well, there's nothing in either place. I think MOTU changed paths on distribution.
Nope. In the App Store search, type MOTU, select MOTU, Inc. and there it is. I have no idea why you can't find it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

It's there now, it wasn't up before 8/8, when I inquired, and it didn't show up on the 9th either.

All clear now.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8