New MOTU Hardware!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New MOTU Hardware!

Post by kwiz »

Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
thracks

Re: New MOTU Hardware!

Post by thracks »

Wow. This looks amazing. Of course I just bought a new 828x :?
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Sweetwater already has them up on their site for pre-order:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... interfaces
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If these devices perform as advertised, this is a whole new paradigm shift in audio interfaces. These devices can be used for anything you can imagine doing with audio, scaling to any proportions. The features and specs are mind-boggling.

I'm probably set up for a while, but it's nice to know that the next time I need to buy audio interfaces, I won't be getting just an incremental update to stuff I've had for 20 years.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm not convinced that I will need one when I upgrade but it's nice to know that they exist.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Latency of less than a msec puts that issue away. I wonder if that applies when you use USB rather than TB.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Latency of less than a msec puts that issue away. I wonder if that applies when you use USB rather than TB.
I wondered the same thing. I suspect that up to a point there is little difference, because all that the computer connection is doing is delivering the final signal to the tracks. At least up to about 8 tracks, the difference should be negligible. Beyond that is anyone's guess, but the workings of USB make me wonder if it can handle dozens of tracks without latency. It's less about conductivity than command structure. Thunderbolt was originally a protocol for light-pipe-type technology, so I'm assuming that its command structure is streamlined for rapid response to meta-data.

Unless a late career modification has me suddenly recording symphony orchestras or doing multiple-studio simulcasts, I doubt that I'll ever need the advanced features of these new boxes, but you never know. I've used advanced features on most of my MOTU interfaces, MIDI and Audio, because a need arose and the features were there. Had the features not been there, I doubt that I'd have perceived that need, and I wouldn't have benefited from them.

What I'm saying is that because the features are there and you know it, it's easy to imagine applying them to solutions for scenarios you encounter. Your creativity is expanded by these potential solutions. Because they are there, they will be used. Those who use them will initially be labeled genius, simply because they put MOTU's boxes fully to work. As time goes on the bar will be raised, and everyone will be using them. So, it's no problem if we don't see ourselves using them right now. Time changes things.
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:If these devices perform as advertised, this is a whole new paradigm shift in audio interfaces. These devices can be used for anything you can imagine doing with audio, scaling to any proportions. The features and specs are mind-boggling.
Mark called it almost four years ago: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 97#p371140

Mind boggling is right. Wow! The networking itself is phenomenal. Audio wise, we can easily network between rooms and buildings without it costing an arm and a leg. This is so awesome! I am disappointed that the hubs are $295. That seems somewhat excessive to me, but I see quite a few 8M models in my future.

Very exciting stuff.
DP10.13
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

First glance looks great.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

They're also shipping AudioDesk 4 along with them. It will be interesting to see where they went with that - it wasn't updated with the release of DP8. AudioDesk is a good choice for live recording, lean and efficient.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

NazRat wrote:They're also shipping AudioDesk 4 along with them. It will be interesting to see where they went with that - it wasn't updated with the release of DP8. AudioDesk is a good choice for live recording, lean and efficient.
Yes, that will be interesting. Will it be a paid upgrade like AD2 or free like AD3 (for AD2 owners)?

A long time ago, I would track in AudioDesk, transfer the project to a desktop and open in DP. I can see how, for some, that approach could still be useful.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

NazRat wrote:They're also shipping AudioDesk 4 along with them. It will be interesting to see where they went with that - it wasn't updated with the release of DP8. AudioDesk is a good choice for live recording, lean and efficient.
Where did you find this information? I can't find anything online about AudioDesk 4 even existing.

Edit: I take that back, your post is the only relevant thing that shows up when I search google for "AudioDesk 4"

Edit 2: Manual searching wins! I found what google did not. It is listed under 'included software' here: http://www.motu.com/products/avb/8m/specs.html
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Wow, I wonder if the onboard DSP effects are improved, as well as the A/D/A converters. Looking forward to the reviews.

I've been using the Apollo with the UAD Neve preamp (and the Unison technology), and have all my nice preamps for sale now.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

bayswater wrote:Latency of less than a msec puts that issue away. I wonder if that applies when you use USB rather than TB.
i believe it applies to TB, based on how it's described on Sweetwater's site.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

jlaudon wrote:Wow, I wonder if the onboard DSP effects are improved, as well as the A/D/A converters.
ESS Sabre32 Ultra conversion. Same as Apogee Symphony, but the analog stages are also critical. MOTU claims 123 dB A-weighted dynamic range on outputs, whereas Apogee says Symphony scores 129 db on the same scale. Both figures are crazy good.

From Apogee's website:
While ESS Sabre32 DAC has been widely recognized and employed in the audiophile community as the next step in converter technology, Apogee is one of the first pro audio manufacturers to employ this DAC in an interface designed for audio and video professionals. ESS Sabre32 DAC technology is included in Duet 2, Duet for iPad & Mac, Quartet and Symphony I/O.

The benefits of the ESS DAC are seen in the astonishingly low THD+N specification and large dynamic range, the preservation of audio performance at any attenuation level (Symphony I/O), and the audio fidelity and transparency for which Apogee is renowned.