New MOTU Hardware!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
thracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New MOTU Hardware!

Post by thracks »

Wow. These look great! Sweetwater has them at $995 here
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The Sweetwater page says in the text they have USB 3, and in the specs it says USB 2. And they're a little vague on the "i" version versus the "o" version.

The MOTU site appears overloaded. Must be all those GS people having a look.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:The MOTU site appears overloaded. Must be all those GS people having a look.
Well, DUH! They can't tell how BAD it sounds until they see the front panel! :shake:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:The MOTU site appears overloaded. Must be all those GS people having a look.
Well, DUH! They can't tell how BAD it sounds until they see the front panel! :shake:
They didn't heap on quite the usual level of abuse for the other AVB gear. There were hints of civil discourse.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

We, uh, looked at the specs today and got scared.

Competition is a good thing. Really.

I haven't checked yet to see if these replace the older 24-series or add to that family.

Before we bought a DSP company 6+ years ago, we used the PCI-based MOTU 24's a lot internally and as part of setups when we were asked to provide integrated solutions vs. just speakers.

It's not too well-known, but the US military tends to use MOTU due to the reliability of the drivers and the build quality of the hardware.

Even though these new devices for the first time put us on competing grounds a little bit, there is a tremendous amount of respect for MOTU at my employer.

With the release of these new audio interfaces though, these will probably be my final comments in this forum on MOTU hardware and AVB etc. so I don't get into trouble at work.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:We, uh, looked at the specs today and got scared.

Competition is a good thing. Really.

I haven't checked yet to see if these replace the older 24-series or add to that family.

Before we bought a DSP company 6+ years ago, we used the PCI-based MOTU 24's a lot internally and as part of setups when we were asked to provide integrated solutions vs. just speakers.

It's not too well-known, but the US military tends to use MOTU due to the reliability of the drivers and the build quality of the hardware.

Even though these new devices for the first time put us on competing grounds a little bit, there is a tremendous amount of respect for MOTU at my employer.

With the release of these new audio interfaces though, these will probably be my final comments in this forum on MOTU hardware and AVB etc. so I don't get into trouble at work.
Wow, that's very interesting stuff, Mark. Sad to lose your commentary, but I totally understand.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|