Selection Problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
berlinpigeon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Selection Problem

Post by berlinpigeon »

Hi there, I just had to do a big re install for the new Mac Pro. So far so good, but unfortunately there is one thing that bothers me. I cannot seem to select a region, without the selection automatically snapping to the soundbites beginning and end of the session in the sequence view. Very annoying, especially since reverb is always getting cut off. Any hints? Thanks to everyone!!! C
Shooshie

Re: Selection Problem

Post by Shooshie »

berlinpigeon wrote:Hi there, I just had to do a big re install for the new Mac Pro. So far so good, but unfortunately there is one thing that bothers me. I cannot seem to select a region, without the selection automatically snapping to the soundbites beginning and end of the session in the sequence view. Very annoying, especially since reverb is always getting cut off. Any hints? Thanks to everyone!!! C

Let me try to understand what you're saying. You make an audio soundbite selection, and the soundbite moves to the beginning or end of the sequence?

IF that is what is happening, then you're probably throwing the soundbite. (Page 346 in the DP8 manual, in the section on moving soundbites) If you look up Soundbites, "Throwing," you'll find it, but "Throwing" is out of order alphabetically, because it has Quotations around it.

Are you by chance holding down the Control Key (WIN key in Windows systems) when you do this? Holding Control, then moving a soundbite one way or the other will cause it to snap to the next soundbite, or to the beginning or end of the sequence. Very handy feature when used intentionally!

If that's not what is happening, I do not know what to tell you. Maybe I'm not understanding the situation, and you could elaborate ein bißchen.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your description is vague but see if this helps:

If you select from above, the side or click on the soundbite, it selects the whole thing. If you click from underneath and move up, you can select the region you want.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Thank you both for your great response. I apologize for not describing the problem better. This is what's happening. I am trying to select a region with the arrow tool, but the only thing it does is that it automatically just selects the soundbites (http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3688 ... un_pdf.htm), not matter from which side I try to select. I can get around this problem if I choose smart selection(http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3688 ... gf_pdf.htm), but I would rather just use the arrow. It must be really easy, but I don't know how to get there....
Many thanks!!! C
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

I actually figured it out! Thanks to composer David Russel who answered the question to Michel Patti on Facebook. Go to Preferences>Editing>Tools and make sure the Cursor Selection Mode is set to All Selections. Setting it to Time Range Only Selections seems to make it act the way it is acting.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

berlinpigeon wrote:I actually figured it out! Thanks to composer David Russel who answered the question to Michel Patti on Facebook. Go to Preferences>Editing>Tools and make sure the Cursor Selection Mode is set to All Selections. Setting it to Time Range Only Selections seems to make it act the way it is acting.

Ah yes, that WOULD limit your options quite a lot!

Still, knowing when to use Time Range Only selections gives you considerable power over your medium when you need it.

DP is extremely deep. It's very important to take your time and learn everything you can about it. There are often many options depending on which modifier keys you have depressed, not to mention the many preferences available.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
berlinpigeon

Post by berlinpigeon »

Thanks Shooshie for these encouraging words, and thanks to this wonderful forum and its members, I am usually quickly able to figure things out and learn more about DP. All the best, C